Camallanus worms??

Sciurus

Posted (edited)

After further inspection of my pleco, it seems he has camallanus worms....

20240518_162308.jpg.cc5db478c1a724eb89daaa43f214ce29.jpg20240518_161000.jpg.d351d834dcdf20ab10c5fe6937f15b0a.jpg

What should i do to treat him if these are camallanus worms?? I also have shrimp in here so I dont want to kill them with the treatment

0 Nitrate 

0 Nitrite 

0 ammonia

80 kh

7.2 ph

78 Fahrenheit

Edited by Sciurus

Posted (edited)

Possible camallanus worms it's difficult to say for sure picture  not conclusive enough treatments for camallanus worms levamisole fenbendazole or flubendazole are all harmful to shrimp to varying degrees if you did have camallanus worms you have to remove all your shrimp and treat or quarantine all your fish and treat 

Edited by Colu

On 5/19/2024 at 1:50 AM, Colu said:

Possible camallanus worms it's difficult to say for sure

Im pretty sure they're cammalanus worms as they look like little red strings sort of wriggling in/out of the pleco's butt. Correct me if im wrong in assuming this though.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:50 AM, Colu said:

you have to remove all your shrimp and treat or quarantine all your fish and treat 

Could snails and shrimp still be carriers? If i move all my fish in there to quarantine and treat them, would the main tank remain contaminated if not treated, or would it go away if there are no fish but only shrimp/snails?

If I remember rightly shrimp and snails don't act as a host for camallanus worms without a host they can survive for up 3 weeks in your tank I would do  is quarantine and do 4 full courses of expel p 1 week apart so week 1 do a 50% water and gravel vac to remove as many eggs and worms from the substrate add medication black out the tank for 24hr as levamisole is a light sensitive medication after 24hr water change and gravel vac to remove as many expelled parasite and eggs redose medication in 7 days repeat all steps on week 2 week 3 week 4 @Sciurus