Water parameters/ Betta tank/ suggestions guidance

Hello there. I will try to keep it short.  Lol.  Fluval 5 gal Spec.  Heater.  Etc from kit.  Planted tank. Anubias, vallisneria (sp), tried a Madagascar bulb and it’s not done a thing except become a snack for my zebra snail.   

I had a betta, he passed.   So it’s only been Snelly and I’ve been watching water and water changes, parameters, etc.   

I think I’m ready to add a betta again but is the tank ready?   Lol.  

I bought some of the plant fertilizer to use rather than the Aqueon so it’s shipped.  Do I need the carbon or iron?   I don’t think so, right?  How can I tell?

my Madagascar bulb is not soft. It’s hard and there have been spikes out of it but it’s been there for over a month and hasn’t done anything.  How can I get it to grow or is it too late?

for my hard water- I think all parameters look good except the hardness but I know you guys told me weeks ago to not worry about it but I want to be so careful….. would adding Aquafina or distilled water hurt or help?   I read that distilled lacks minerals and can hurt the tank?

and I am still not happy with the setup.  Just trying to get some plants and growth going and keeping a simple clean look allowing for room if the Madagascar decided to grow.  

finally- lol.  Sorry.  But I have so many questions.  I did have frogbit.  Loved it.  Hated the roots growing so fast and getting algae and looking dirty.  Any way to prevent that?   I’m looking to add some Amano shrimp as soon as I can find some.  I think they’ll help.  

suggestions.  Help? 🙏🏻☺️

IMG_6887.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

Your tank looks healthy and the plants seem to be thriving except the Bulb... I wouldn't reccoment having a betta and shrimp in a 5 gallon. they can be territorial and in such a small space... I live in Florida and my water is very hard as well but that doesn't seem to be a problem for me. The plants that you have dont require carbon from my understanding but I believe that the Val is gonna need some root tabs for nutrients since it isn't a stem plant that feeds from the water column like the anubias. I would say its ready for a new betta friend. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Oh thank you.  @CoryWithAKatana   I just feel horrible about my other little guy and I want to make sure everything is as good as it can be.  Ok.  So no on the shrimp then.  Lol.   With the zebra snail he does great cleaning the glass but I do brush my plants to keep some algae off.  I have my lights on for 7 hours a day and it’s the kit light so it’s not adjustable.  I did add the API root tabs but I did buy some of Corey’s when I placed my order.  Going with the best.  

I feel better now.  Thank you 🙏🏻 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻☺️

• Like 3

On 5/16/2024 at 1:00 PM, Rachel0825 said:

read that distilled lacks minerals and can hurt the tank?

You can use it but not by itself. They would need the minerals from your regular water as well. You could do a mix. As long as you’re consistent 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 1:47 PM, Tony s said:

You can use it but not by itself. They would need the minerals from your regular water as well. You could do a mix. As long as you’re consistent 

Ok.  So if I decided to add a bottle of Aquafina (haha) to every water change I would need to be consistent and always do that.   I keep seeing hard water doesn’t hurt but I just don’t wanna lose another little guy.    I might try a mix this weekend and test to see.    Thanks.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the parameters with a Betta unless it was wild caught.  Almost all of the Bettas you will find at local fish stores or chain stores are farm raised or captive bred at least, so they are pretty hardy.  Much more important to just keep the parameters consistent and have patience make sure the tank is fully cycled before you add the Betta.

My wife has a platinum half moon in a fluval 15 alone (living his best life) and her pH is over 8 and hardness is pretty high and he's perfectly healthy and happy.  Just keep it stable and keep up on water changes and you'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 1:53 PM, Rachel0825 said:

I keep seeing hard water doesn’t hurt but I just don’t wanna lose another little guy

For most fish it really doesn't. Most of the country has hard water. perfectly normal. there are fish that are very sensitive to hard water. discus, Apistogramma, ram cichlids, and wild caught fish. bettas are just fine in hard water. they survive in mud puddles for a bit every year. 

I think sourcing of the betta is more important. bettas from big box pet stores tend to live much shorter lives than they should. even when you're doing everything right. and they might be older than you think even. You might be able to find a lfs and get a better strain from them. I do buy from there and my betta's last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years (but usually half that)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:01 PM, Tony s said:

For most fish it really doesn't. Most of the country has hard water. perfectly normal. there are fish that are very sensitive to hard water. discus, Apistogramma, ram cichlids, and wild caught fish. bettas are just fine in hard water. they survive in mud puddles for a bit every year. 

I think sourcing of the betta is more important. bettas from big box pet stores tend to live much shorter lives than they should. even when you're doing everything right. and they might be older than you think even. You might be able to find a lfs and get a better strain from them. I do buy from there and my betta's last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years (but usually half that)

Yes, my betta lasted 2 years when they said they live 3-4 years. Some Online places are good for buying bettas. My water is super super soft, but I live in the southeast area down here and everything is soft 😂

But bettas will be just fine in your harder water, they can be actually kinda hardy.

For your plants if you want better growth you can get a plant light from Amazon for around 2 bucks. And it has its own timer, different brightness and colors @Rachel0825.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DBrown918 haha.   We call my zebra snail King Snelly all alone in his tank.  Lol.  He’s been by himself for a while now and will probably not want a tank mate.   Aw.  The platinums are beautiful.   

@Tony s I’m so sorry.  What is lfs?   I bought Sushi in Jan from a breeder in Indonesia.  He said he was 6 months old.  All was fine and then one am it wasn’t.  ☹️ now I have found an online in CA that has a Candy Koi Plakat I think might be my new guy.  

@Whitecloud09 I’m SE as well.  I’ve tested my tap and was using the top fin bottled water til I saw it was even hard.  My home tap is a tad softer so I’ve been using it.  It’s been running for over 4 months.  Sushi was in there for 3 months about and Snelly for 4 months.  I’ve been adding the bacteria with a water change.  I’ve had algae so I hope it’s cycled enough for one.   

thank y’all so much.   Im leery but I want a Betta again.  Soon.  Lol so I thought I’d ask you guys - the experts.  👍🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 

@Whitecloud09 when you say a plant light do you mean to replace my light for the tank or to add on the side?   This Fluval does have the red and blue lights you just can’t dim or change the intensity but you can make it a blue light only.   I have plant lights for my regular potted plants and they love them!!! 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 3:03 PM, Rachel0825 said:

I’m so sorry.  What is lfs?   I bought Sushi in Jan from a breeder in Indonesia.  He said he was 6 months old.  All was fine and then one am it wasn’t.  ☹️ now I have found an online in CA that has a Candy Koi Plakat I think might be my new guy.  

A LFS is a Local Fish Store, LFS seem to usually have better quality fish and advice than your average petsmart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 3:03 PM, Rachel0825 said:

@Whitecloud09 I’m SE as well.  I’ve tested my tap and was using the top fin bottled water til I saw it was even hard.  My home tap is a tad softer so I’ve been using it.  It’s been running for over 4 months.  Sushi was in there for 3 months about and Snelly for 4 months.  I’ve been adding the bacteria with a water change.  I’ve had algae so I hope it’s cycled enough for one.   

@Whitecloud09 when you say a plant light do you mean to replace my light for the tank or to add on the side?   This Fluval does have the red and blue lights you just can’t dim or change the intensity but you can make it a blue light only.   I have plant lights for my regular potted plants and they love them!!! 

Oh the topfin bottled water, ok 👍 yeah that’s completely fine. I meant replace your light for a plant light. Oh your light can do that too? Ok yeah then your good there! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 11:59 AM, DBrown918 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the parameters with a Betta unless it was wild caught.

I totally agree. Bettas usually do quite well in hard water. They’re very adaptable.

Your tank should have held its cycle just fine from your last Betta, so assuming you tested the water and have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrate you should be ready for another fish!

Have you tried flipping your bulb over? Sometimes if the bulb is upside down (meaning roots up and plant leaves in the gravel) they can’t grow.

Best of luck!

Edited by EricksonAquatics
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 5:07 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Have you tried flipping your bulb over? Sometimes if the bulb is upside down (meaning roots up and plant leaves in the gravel) they can’t grow.

Best of luck!

👀 ok.   Do you think I have it upside down?  Oh no.  I hope not.  Lol.  Jeez.  Haha.  I placed the flat side in the substrate and the pointy end up.  It has spiky things like maybe leaves were trying to come out but as long as it’s been there it’s done nothing ☹️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:12 AM, Rachel0825 said:

👀 ok.   Do you think I have it upside down?  Oh no.  I hope not.  Lol.  Jeez.  Haha.  I placed the flat side in the substrate and the pointy end up.  It has spiky things like maybe leaves were trying to come out but as long as it’s been there it’s done nothing ☹️

from your pic it kinda does look wrong side up.... I would flip it because what is th worst that can happen?? It not grow? lol

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2024 at 11:17 AM, CoryWithAKatana said:

from your pic it kinda does look wrong side up.... I would flip it because what is th worst that can happen?? It not grow? lol

Omg.   And I’ve been blaming it on Snelly snacking on it and it might be me 😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️ lord.  Ok.  I’ll flip it and cross my fingers    Hahaha.  Ok.  Thank you 🙏🏻 

• Haha 3

I’d bet it’s upside down. Especially if it isn’t squishy then it shouldn’t be rotting! So flip it over and if it doesn’t grow then I don’t know what to tell you😂it might be a dud at that point!

It’s pretty hard to tell when they’re upside down if you don’t receive them sprouting so you’re definitely not alone!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1