Dropsy treatment with epsom salt

Colette

@Colu   Deal!   I also bought the Fritz ACCR ammonia remover.  Thoughts on that in a small tank?  

I can add carbon now too, since indeed the Pineconing is resolved.

And Mertoplex is oral.    

I do not know how I could have saved this fish without all of this sites help.  
Maybe one day I can visit your store and thank you all in person. 

PS.  My neurologic Angelfish with possible HITH,   did not live.  You all helped with her too. 
But truly, her quality of life , ability to navigate a tank and find food, was of much much concern to me.
her appetite and stress level seemed just not fair to such a sweet fish.   

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 7:40 AM, Colette said:

I do not know how I could have saved this fish without all of this sites help. 
Maybe one day I can visit your store and thank you all in person. 

Actually everyone on this forum are all just experinced to veteran fish keepers spread all over the world! I wish i could see some people on here IRL but we all are mostly spread over in the US @Colette.  About the remover, is there any ammonia present? If not, no need for it, if so, i think it would work for almost any size tank @Colette, colu might have better info tho, he is a veteran, im  a experinced fishkeeper trying to help.🙂

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 12:48 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Actually everyone on this forum are all just experinced to veteran fish keepers spread all over the world! I wish i could see some people on here IRL but we all are mostly spread over in the US @Colette.  About the remover, is there any ammonia present? If not, no need for it, if so, i think it would work for almost any size tank @Colette, colu might have better info tho, he is a veteran, im  a experinced fishkeeper trying to help.🙂

I have never used the fritz ammonia remover it wouldn't hurt to use it if your concerned about ammonia spike in the smaller tank it won't affect the salt or oral medication 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Colu and @Whitecloud09  I have been changed the water 2 gall yesterday and 3/4 gallon this morning.  My fish is acting totally normal, breathing well.  I added carbon filter because he us not pine coning anymore, so I stopped the Maracyn 2.    

On 5/21/2024 at 5:22 PM, Colette said:

@Colu and @Whitecloud09  I have been changed the water 2 gall yesterday and 3/4 gallon this morning.  My fish is acting totally normal, breathing well.  I added carbon filter because he us not pine coning anymore, so I stopped the Maracyn 2.    

That’s good news, again, you’re doing a great job  @Colette!

@Colu  @Whitecloud09 Hi!  My other goldfish now has stringy white feces, hiding, stressed.  Not obvious bloat and no pinecone.  Can bristle pleco’s handle  aquarium salt?   

I am down to 1 - 5 gall QT for these 2 goldfish.    

My 20 gallon QT. is not clean yet from my sick Angel.  

Only salt in the 5 gall.   Oral metroplex being given in food.  

Aerator going.  Tank Has small filter too.

how long can these 2 stay in here?  

20% water change daily to keep Ammonia down? 

I am desperate for help yet again! 

Thanks,   Colette

These are the 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon.  I will check water parameters daily until

the 20 gallon is ready for their continued treatment.  Sound ok?  Colette

image.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 6:25 AM, Colette said:

These are the 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon.  I will check water parameters daily until

image.jpg

I have used 1 table spoon for 3 gallons with my bristlenose I always dissolve the salt in a cup of warm water before adding it to the tank   and monitor to make sure there not having a reaction to the salt white stringy poop can be caused by your fish not eating and it just the mucus lining or parasitic infections are they eating any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out weight loss have you added any new fish to this tank recently that could have bought in a parasitic infection

Edited by Colu

On 5/22/2024 at 1:25 AM, Colette said:

image.jpg

Sorry about all this again @Colette. If ammonia is present, then definitely water changes are needed, if it doesn’t stress them out a lot, 20% every day is my suggestion. I know about ammonia, I had a ammonia spike that ended 1 week ago, that started in FEBRUARY lol. Still don’t know the actual cause, and I did 20% change daily to keep ammonia out, or at least untoxic. If you have seachem prime, then I would use that, as it doesn’t kill ammonia, but make it not as toxic for 24 hrs. 

@Colu @Whitecloud09   You guys are right on the money.  Added a large new bristlenose to the 55 gallon goldfish tank a few weeks back.  
The goldfish do eat medicated food.  The pleco will not.   

Should I then:

1. treat the whole tank 55 gallon,with lower dose salt ?  I can start with 1T/5 gall to be extra safe for my bristle.

2. Do I Return the goldfish to that original tank ?    For safety with this ammonia rise in QT 5 gall?

3. Is salt enough to treat possible parasites at this point?  

I will continue oral Metroplex with the goldfish, they have a good appetite and energy yet.  No pinecones, so a plus there.  
I added Fritz ACCR remover to QT tank this morning to be safe, 20% water change done in there at 1am.  

50% water change done too in large 55 gall tank with bristle. 

It is a challenge but I want these goofs to live.  I love them so.  Little dogs in the water.  So hungry and happy.

You all are just wonderful!  Thank you!

Colette

Here is my bristle

IMG_3373.jpeg

@Colu  yes both are eating.  Fish not thin.  Hanging near surface one day .  Twitching noted one day duration.   These symptoms in the other goldfish all started yesterday.  While I was working.  By night,  swimming oddly, twitching with clamped fins.  But not down and out.   

colette

On 5/22/2024 at 9:04 AM, Colette said:

@Colu @Whitecloud09   You guys are right on the money.  Added a large new bristlenose to the 55 gallon goldfish tank a few weeks back.  
The goldfish do eat medicated food.  The pleco will not.   

Should I then:

1. treat the whole tank 55 gallon,with lower dose salt ?  I can start with 1T/5 gall to be extra safe for my bristle.

2. Do I Return the goldfish to that original tank ?    For safety with this ammonia rise in QT 5 gall?

3. Is salt enough to treat possible parasites at this point?  

I will continue oral Metroplex with the goldfish, they have a good appetite and energy yet.  No pinecones, so a plus there.  
I added Fritz ACCR remover to QT tank this morning to be safe, 20% water change done in there at 1am.  

50% water change done too in large 55 gall tank with bristle. 

It is a challenge but I want these goofs to live.  I love them so.  Little dogs in the water.  So hungry and happy.

You all are just wonderful!  Thank you!

Colette

Here is my bristle

IMG_3373.jpeg

Hmm, @Colu should have a better idea of me of what to do, we’ll see what he says but would go with number 1. I might be totally wrong, but this is definitely a tuff situation @Colette, I think the salt can have somewhat of a impact on the fish at this point actually, again a experienced fish keeper here, I am learning too in this topic, @Colu has more experience with these diseases. We will see what he says for clarification. But I say 1.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:34 AM, Colette said:

@Colu  yes both are eating.  Fish not thin.  Hanging near surface one day .  Twitching noted one day duration.   These symptoms in the other goldfish all started yesterday.  While I was working.  By night,  swimming oddly, twitching with clamped fins.  But not down and out.   

colette

Yes from that I would not put the goldfish back in, and you can do water changes daily for the QT tank, if ammonia is high, could you do a ammonia test for me @Colette

@Whitecloud09  yes i am working today but happy to share ammonia strip results.  I think these fish can tolerate 25% water change daily and replace salt then too.  The salt ratio is now 1T:5 gall.  Feeding small amount of Metroplex to both fish in QT tank 

original tank got a 50% water change last night. Pleco left in there, he seems fine.  This is tough.  But the goldfish seem to care not!  I love these 2. 

thank you!!  It has been a rough few says of fish care. Colette

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:13 PM, Colette said:

@Whitecloud09  yes i am working today but happy to share ammonia strip results.  I think these fish can tolerate 25% water change daily and replace salt then too.  The salt ratio is now 1T:5 gall.  Feeding small amount of Metroplex to both fish in QT tank 

original tank got a 50% water change last night. Pleco left in there, he seems fine.  This is tough.  But the goldfish seem to care not!  I love these 2. 

thank you!!  It has been a rough few says of fish care. Colette

The level of salt  needed to treat some types external parasite would be harmful to your bristlenose salt  isn't effective at treating internal parasites What  you could do is move  both goldfish back to the main tank stop treating with metroplex and start treating with paracleanse active ingredient is metronidazole and praziquantel it treats Gill and skin  flukes Hexamita spironucleus you would need to do  three courses of treatment two weeks apart so you would want to treat on week 1 week 3 week 5  

• Like 1

@Whitecloud09  Thank you!!  I am going to put these clowns back in the big tank tomorrow.  My day off, so I can monitor them.  
Still doing great!  

I am quite happy to see the improvement.  
Have a great day! 

Colette 

• Like 1

@Colu  hi there!  My goldfish are doing well in the big tank. Still giving oral Metroplex in food.    

Question-  do I feed the medicated food exclusively, twice daily in a small amount OR do I feed unmedicated food with a small amount of Metroplex food? 

Thanks!  colette

On 5/28/2024 at 10:55 AM, Colette said:

@Colu  hi there!  My goldfish are doing well in the big tank. Still giving oral Metroplex in food.    

Question-  do I feed the medicated food exclusively, twice daily in a small amount OR do I feed unmedicated food with a small amount of Metroplex food? 

Thanks!  colette

Idk about that stuff lol. @Colu will chime in pretty soon, but that is great news! Hope they have a full recovery!

On 5/28/2024 at 4:19 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Idk about that stuff lol. @Colu will chime in pretty soon, but that is great news! Hope they have a full recovery!

Just feed the medicated food till you have finished the full course then you can feed them there regular food 

• Like 1