Dropsy treatment with epsom salt

Colette

Hi,  my common goldfish has early stage dropsy.  Eating, active, stools normal now- were stringy.  He was lethargic, better today.   Still swollen with bulging eyes.  Few pine cone scales observed today. 

QT is 5 gall, with bubbler/ filter no carbon.

QT   Has Aq salt in it and Maracyn 2, currently.  

My question is-  are epsom salt dips at 1 Tablespoon/ gall for 15 min preferred for dropsy?  

OR should I change the QT water out and add lower dose Epsom to QT tank for 5 days?    

I could really use epsom salt dosages, and duration.    I hope to save him.  He is so cute and social.  

Here is how he looks. 

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3381.jpeg

@Colu @Whitecloud09

Any dosing reccs on Epsom salt for dropsy in the tank ?   Tips in Epsom Salt use too?

Anyone have Dropsy success / survival?   My LFS person has not used  Epsom salt, so they said to fast fish 3 days.

Maracyn 2 is on board.  

Thank you!! Colette

Posted (edited)

1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salt is best for every five gallons of water. Maracyn and fasting will help too. I dont have experince with dropsy but have experience with epsom salt, it does help a lot @Colette @Colu might have a better dosage suggestion tho, we will see. But thats the most common i believe.

Edited by Whitecloud09

@Whitecloud09

this is helpful!   I can easily fast the fish. His stool is normal.  
He is happy and active.

I will do a water change since I have Auarium salt in the QT currently.  Then add epsom salt, continue Maracyn.  
Does that sound like a good plan?

thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:35 PM, Colette said:

@Whitecloud09

He is happy and active.

I will do a water change since I have Auarium salt in the QT currently.  Then add epsom salt, continue Maracyn.  

thanks!

Sounds like a great plan! Hope it goes well! Good luck!

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 10:35 PM, Colette said:

@Whitecloud09

He is happy and active.

thanks!

You can use Epsom salt or aquarium salt for dropsy only difference is epsom salt also acts as a muscle relaxant and will raise GH the most effective treatment I have have found for dropsy is a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such kanaplex or maracyn2 to treat any possible internal bacterial infection aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons to help reduce fluid buildup and metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks 

1000000024.png

Edited by Colu
  • Love 1

@Colu @Whitecloud09

thank you both very much!  I have done a water change,  increased the Aq salt to 1 T/ 2 galls.   I have to buy Metroplex.  But will fast fish 3 days first.  He is already very mad about that.
 I hope he hangs in!  A free carnival fish and I am all in.

3 weeks of care, I can handle it.  I am an ER vet tech so this may explain my need for a treatment protocol and some good luck. 

@Colu  how long to salt fish at this higher concentration?  5 days?

thanks!  Colette

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:05 AM, Colette said:

@Colu @Whitecloud09

thank you both very much!  I have done a water change,  increased the Aq salt to 1 T/ 2 galls.   I have to buy Metroplex.  But will fast fish 3 days first.  He is already very mad about that.
 I hope he hangs in!  A free carnival fish and I am all in.

3 weeks of care, I can handle it.  I am an ER vet tech so this may explain my need for a treatment protocol and some good luck. 

@Colu  how long to salt fish at this higher concentration?  5 days?

thanks!  Colette

Keep the salt at that level for 7 days then review to see if theres been any improvement 

• Like 1

@Colu  when is the appropriate time to increase Aquarium salt in tank?

48 hrs at 1T/2 gall with no improvement in fluid decrease.  Pinecone scales starting to show, but not many. 

Still wait 7 days at this salt ratio 1T/2 gall? 

I saw on the Aq coop Salt Youtube  video- you mention specifically Epsom Salt for dropsy.    
Should I try that?   Or stick with Aq Salt as you suggested? 
The fish is not constipated.  Pooping normally.   Fairly energetic.  Breathing well. 

Thank you very much!  Colette

IMG_3404.jpeg

• Like 1

@Whitecloud09  Hey, thank you so much.   I am just worried and I know time is important here with this disease.

This discussion board has been so very helpful.  I will be patient.   Thank you all so much.  

My neurologic Angel is hangin in there.  Working on stress relief, tank navigation and finding her food.  

Really, thank you thank you!  
colette

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 7:49 PM, Colette said:

@Whitecloud09  Hey, thank you so much.   I am just worried and I know time is important here with this disease.

This discussion board has been so very helpful.  I will be patient.   Thank you all so much.  

My neurologic Angel is hangin in there.  Working on stress relief, tank navigation and finding her food.  

Really, thank you thank you!  
colette

You can use Epsom salt or aquarium salt I would stick with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 days for 5 days then up it to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon 

• Like 1

@Colu Thank you for replying and confirming.   I am so grateful for all the advice!

Fish keeping is tough for a beginner.  I want to be good at it and enjoy it.  

Right now, it is like a fish hospital at our home.  

Ok staying the course.  

have a great afternoon!  Colette

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, Colette said:

@Colu  can Gen Cure and Maracyn 2 go together?  I do not have Metroplex.  Thanks, Colette

Sorry if I am budging in 😉 but You should never use more than one fish medicine at a time because they might react with one another in the water. It is to risky if you ask me. @Colette

• Like 1

Oh ok,  I can hold off.   My LFS person thought it should be ok, but I , as usual wanted to double check.    Thank you @Whitecloud09 As you can see, I need guidance.  I appreciate and respect your input.  Kindly, Colette

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:58 AM, Colette said:

Oh ok,  I can hold off.   My LFS person thought it should be ok, but I , as usual wanted to double check.    Thank you @Whitecloud09 As you can see, I need guidance.  I appreciate and respect your input.  Kindly, Colette

You can use maracyn2 with general cure as long you add maracyn2 to food and dose the tank with general cure you won't get a negative interaction between the medication 

1000000026.png

• Love 1

@Colu @Whitecloud09   You guys are the best!

I ordered the Focus and Metroplex.   Arrives today.  Had to use Amazon.
Last day of Maracyn 2 then water change and then restart Maracyn2 with oral Metroplex.     

Good news!!   Goldfish scales seem to be going down.   Salt is at 1T/2 gall. Fish is happy, eating but feeding very small meals.

I am so grateful for your replies and solid advice!  Chat later!

Kindly,

Colette

image.jpg

• Like 2

@Colu @Whitecloud09   Goldfish holding steady!!  Starting Round 2 Maracyn in tank, started to feed Metroplex in food.  He loves garlic guard.  Stools normal.  Water parameters, normal.   Doing well!! Much thanks for ALL the advice!

Colette

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 5:54 PM, Colette said:

@Colu @Whitecloud09   Goldfish holding steady!!  Starting Round 2 Maracyn in tank, started to feed Metroplex in food.  He loves garlic guard.  Stools normal.  Water parameters, normal.   Doing well!! Much thanks for ALL the advice!

Colette

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery 

• Like 1

He is a nice fish.  Obtained from some drunk girls at a city street fair.  Still my bud and his friend in the big tank misses him.   You guys really have helped me out.  Thank you a million times over.  

colette

@Colu  Hello there!!  My goldfish is doing quite well and looking more like his normal body shape.  I am monitoring the water parameters twice daily.  50% water change every 3 days replacing the salt for what was removed.

Maracyn 2 in the tank, Metroplex mix in pellets.

In the Metroplex directions-   Should I only feed the Metroplex food small amount twice daily?  

Or feed other Non- medication laced food with medicated food?

Next ?   If this goldfish is doing Well after 2 weeks in salt and Maracyn 2-  Do I return him to his tank ?   
And if so,  Feed a

Sorry-  @Colu   If I return fish to tank-  continue to feed all fish Metroplex for 3 weeks?  Or discontinue once fish is in original tank and “cured.”

much thanks as always!

Colette

On 5/21/2024 at 1:16 AM, Colette said:

@Colu  Hello there!!  My goldfish is doing quite well and looking more like his normal body shape.  I am monitoring the water parameters twice daily.  50% water change every 3 days replacing the salt for what was removed.

Maracyn 2 in the tank, Metroplex mix in pellets.

In the Metroplex directions-   Should I only feed the Metroplex food small amount twice daily?  

Or feed other Non- medication laced food with medicated food?

Next ?   If this goldfish is doing Well after 2 weeks in salt and Maracyn 2-  Do I return him to his tank ?   
And if so,  Feed a

Sorry-  @Colu   If I return fish to tank-  continue to feed all fish Metroplex for 3 weeks?  Or discontinue once fish is in original tank and “cured.”

much thanks as always!

Colette

If the pineconing gone I would stop treating with maracyn2 gradually lower the level of salt to 1 table spoon for 5 gallons keep treating with metroplex in food for another week feeding a small amount twice a day it's not uncommon for fish relapse once they are put back in there original tank this could be due to stress effecting there immune system I would leave him were he is till you have finished another week of metroplex before moving him back 

• Like 1