How to treat my Flowerhorn cichlid

Yuping

Hello! I treated my fish 3 months ago for parasite infection. After treatment, poor fishy developed rectum prolapse. I treated with Epsom salt for 5 days / 15 mins. It worked well.

However, recently my fish underwent another round of parasite treatment and became sick again. There is an abnormal bulge on one side of belly, it is always sitting at the bottom of the tank and have a weird gait.

I've started epsom salt treatment level 2, 1tbsp per 2 gallons of water. Fish is swimming better and more reactive and does not stay at the bottom of the tank but the bulge is not going away.

Is there anything else I need to do? Should I be concerned?VideoCapture_20240509-091944.jpg.f914f2d8865cc15eac765a390700bee7.jpg

VideoCapture_20240509-091949.jpg

VideoCapture_20240509-091930.jpg

Sometimes with our livestock, after a bought of hard coughing, they get prolapses. The only thing we can do is to sew a ring around the rectum to keep the prolapse in. And making sure there are no blockages. Occasionally this heals completely incorrectly no matter how we sew it and we lose them anyway. Not saying this happened, but an incorrect healing could be an option. 

Possibly we need to ask the expert. @Colu ?

Posted (edited)

Colu had a response to cinnibuns question about a thick lipped gourami and dropsy currently visible on the list. The same advice and recipes should work for your flowerhorn as well. Hopefully it is actually a bacterial infection 

Edited by Tony s

I think it would be worthwhile keeping Epsom salt in his tank for another 5 days and do a course of kanaplex that's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment what parasite medication were you using 

I use general cure for parasite infection. 5 days after epsom salt in his tank, his colour is back and is more responsive and active. Bulge still there but seems to be smaller.

• Like 2