Added more Cories to the tank. Now they're scaredy cats??

Hello fellow fish friends new to the forum! I originally had 4 Gold Laser Corydoras in a 37gal community tank. They were doing pretty well but noticed 1 was always a loner while the other 3 foraged around together.  I've always read that Cories should be in schools of 6 or more, so I acquired 2 more hoping to give the loner some buddies.  These 2 are a little larger than the original 4 at about 1.5 inches vs 1 inches.  But ever since adding the 2 new Cories, all they ever do is hide now.  They won't even come out for feeding time anymore.  I've also noticed increased skittishness when approaching the tank.  This contradicts everything I've read about Cories being more active in larger numbers.  No other changes to the tank nor any bullying from tankmates. Same decor, same water parameters.  I'm almost tempted to buy a couple more Cories to see if it changes things. Any thoughts? TIA

I've bred and kept orange laser corydoras for 3 years now. I can without a doubt say they are the most reclusive species of corydoras I have ever kept by far. Beautiful species but constantly hiding in my experience.

• Like 1

I’ve experienced this. Give them time. The new ones are still nervous. The existing ones will group with the new ones. They should eventually return to normal once the new ones settle in. It can take a few weeks. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had 7 Elegant Corydoras for a few months now. They always still hide when I approach. If I sit still a few of them might come out. I have Von RIo and Black Phantom tetras in the same tank that were added after the corys. Other corydoras I've had didn't seem shy at all. 

Edited by Errk25