Improving my attempt at a jungle scaped tank

I recently asked this forum on ideas to create a jungle style aquarium, I did my best to include this feedback but I was wondering if there was any more. Here is the updated tank

fishtank3.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The thing you need is really time and patience. Get the tank on a good routine and get it stable and balanced. Then be patient. Before you know it you’ll be trimming those plants back because you never see your fish.  

Assuming that sword takes hold it could be like this in a couple years:

IMG_7066.jpeg.833c5be2d17a8b867c96957d720445d2.jpeg

Each time you trim the Pearl Weed it will start to push out instead of up and you’ll end up with a Pearl Weed jungle like this:

IMG_7030.jpeg.30ff965944a0b7e7ea8058413f2d8415.jpeg

Get the tank stable and give it time and you’ll be rewarded for it!

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

What AllFish said about your sword is true. Here is a photo of my 20g long kitchen tank when it was about a year old. The sword grew too large for my tank within two years and I replaced it with an anubias, which also outgrew the tank in about 2.5 years and is now in my 29. The small green hygrophila in the front left of the tank is what I replaced the anubias with. It stayed tiny while the amazon sword was in the tank but once the sword was gone it started to grow tall and spread like crazy so now it's a good plant for hiding the filter from view.

You can definitely get the jungle look in your tank--have fun with it. 

KitchenTankatNight.JPG.63d93cd081db4f19f210178367091bb2.JPGIMG_2406(2).jpg.b7c255a3aacdd7196a9e0b2f130f25b0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I picked a wonderful mix of textures for my plants and I put them on a good routine for light and fertilizer I am enjoying the trip as they grow and fill in.  I am old enough now to enjoy watching the changes in my tank.  The journey our tanks can take us are amazing.  

I think you have a great scape started that will fill in beautifully before you realize it.  Especially if you add ferts and light.

• Like 1

I like the out of control chaos look in my tanks. :classic_laugh:   What's the saying?... 'The one constant is change.' :classic_biggrin: It's so cool to watch the tank evolve!  

20240507_184122.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/7/2024 at 12:57 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

The thing you need is really time and patience. Get the tank on a good routine and get it stable and balanced. Then be patient. Before you know it you’ll be trimming those plants back because you never see your fish.  

Assuming that sword takes hold it could be like this in a couple years:

IMG_7066.jpeg.833c5be2d17a8b867c96957d720445d2.jpeg

Each time you trim the Pearl Weed it will start to push out instead of up and you’ll end up with a Pearl Weed jungle like this:

IMG_7030.jpeg.30ff965944a0b7e7ea8058413f2d8415.jpeg

Get the tank stable and give it time and you’ll be rewarded for it!

I never knew that, mine is at the top of the water and grows vertical. So i trim it then it will go more horizontal? Because i have only one, do i need more @AllFishNoBrakes?

On 5/8/2024 at 10:43 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

I never knew that, mine is at the top of the water and grows vertical. So i trim it then it will go more horizontal? Because i have only one, do i need more @AllFishNoBrakes?

I assume you’re talking about the Pearl Weed? If so, that has been my experience. I started with one single pot of Pearl Weed and over time it has taken over that whole tank. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:59 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I assume you’re talking about the Pearl Weed? If so, that has been my experience. I started with one single pot of Pearl Weed and over time it has taken over that whole tank. 

Yes, thanks that’s incredible! Thanks for the suggestion, I might do that…..

• Like 1

I started with single plants or pots of everything in my tank.  I just trimmed every stem plant and replant it making tons of them.  My floating plants were around 30 and now nearly cover the surface.  If you are patient you can get to watch it grow in as you trim and replant or see the plants spread slowly overtaking the surface.

• Like 1

I think patience, water changes, ferts, and making sure you have nutrients in your substrate will help existing plants grow. Personally, I find a jungle scape looks a little more natural/wild with a little bit more hardscape to give it a less flat/uniform shape than flat substrate with limited hardscape. Some different textures and placement of plants can help, too. Here are two pretty different versions of a beginner planted tank I made with my nephew. One sort of neglected jungle and one a little more controlled.

image.jpeg.cf8f6281422c00ad50cca55767e0582d.jpeg

image.jpeg.9d45cfdc945e3bf54b353eeee0df019d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4