Hello from Western Australia

Hello all, I’m joining this forum because I think my partner and mates are sick of me trying to talk their ears off about aquariums. I have been away from the hobby for a while but in the last six months or so I’ve been re-acquainting myself with everything - learning what former facts are now considered wrong, seeing the development of different tech etc. It’s been really fun to get excited about something I’ve always enjoyed since I was a kid. Right now I’m about to move house (rental to owning), so I’m mostly just scheming on my set-up, while maintaining the following: 

A) 250l cold water tank with two 5cm goldfish, hornwort, Aqua One Nautilus 2700 and sponge filter back-ups (and for future tank set ups)

B) 40l blackwater style tropical setup with 4 cherry barbs, 6 juvenile guppies, 6 WCMM, an Oto, and a mystery snail called Gary. That one has an Eheim 160, Java ferns, heaps of wood, vallis, crypts, frogbit, mosquito fern, duckweed - it’s technically overstocked but that was due to a tank emergency, and the water tests consistently perfect - in fact, I have to fert a lot to stop the plants starving themselves. 

my plan post-move is to move the tropicals to a 90l bookshelf low profile tank, then set up two 90l cubes with shell-dwellers and kribs respectively and try breeding some. With the goldfish on the bottom of a large shelving unit housing the whole lot

Anyway, I look forward to asking questions and learning from everyone. Thanks! 

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

gorgeous blackwater tank...I love the look of plants in blackwater. Do you use botanicals or dose a blackwater extract directly into the tank water? 

It’s all just natural tannins from the wood actually. The plants are doing such a good job keeping the nitrates down that I don’t have to do a lot of water changes so I guess that helps the colour stay nice and dark. I also love the black water aesthetic 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi again, I'm just posting this here because the thread I started about 3 weeks ago referring to a mishap I had with a shell dweller set-up appears to have been deleted 😞 I was hoping to give the people who offered good advice an update. I've finished cycling a new 60 litre tank for the remaining Ocellatus, and now I'm waiting to hear back from my LFS about a restock so I can give this little dude some friends asap. So yeah, glad that all worked out in the end.

Additionally, I upgraded my planted community tank to a 90 litre cube - which contains some fantastically red, extremely energetic Albino Cherry Barbs. I thoughT they looked a bit meh in the store, but they pop so hard against all the greenery. I cant get a decent pic of them close-up cuz they never stay still long enough.

IMG_6085.JPG

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

Edited by Gastroplod
typos
  • Love 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:14 AM, j_rider said:

Tanks look great. Does the new 90L cube mean you have moved into your new place? Hope the forum is letting you talk more about the hobby with like-minded others.

Nah we decided not to move for the time being, so I just put this tank into action rather than go another day starting it empty wishing I could be fiddled with it hah.

• Like 2