Plants with my Oscar

I saw Corys youtube on growing plants (porthos) in a HOB filter. This I can do I have a spare HOB. My concern is working on the filter after the plants and roots take off. Then I ran across this youtube where the roots grow inside the tank and the plants are in a holder. I'm not sure if my fish 1 oscar 1 placo will eat the roots or if they do will they eat enough to kill the plants? Oscars and plants don't mix I've been down that road. But not sure about just the roots.

On 4/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, mynameisnobody said:

The company that makes those holders, also makes one where you can keep the roots also out of the aquarium. It would mounted to your aquarium in the same way. 

Thanks for the response Would you happen to know the model? I emailed them but have not heard back yet.

Oscars and many other cichlids will dig up plants. However, Oscars are predators that eat fish, crustaceans, insects, and mollusks, so they do not eat plants, and are not interested in roots. I would not expect the Oscar to mess with the pothos roots growing down from your HOB.

As for the pleco, they are omnivores, but I would not expect them to take an interest in pothos roots, either. However, I have never kept plecos in the presence of exposed roots, so I don’t know for sure.

Edited by AtomicSunfish

Imo it depends on the individual my older one I have no doubt would have destroyed the roots I couldn’t have a intake sprung she would rip it apart for example but then I’ve seen full on plants is some peoples Oscar tanks and they didn’t touch them so it all depends on there personally 

• Like 1

Not oscars but Jack Dempsey’s in my 75 gallon.  Link is below in my signature for ideas, trials, and tribulations.  The Amazon swords and lucky bamboo have done the best along with plants in the HOB’s.  The plants in the HOB’s I do nothing but trim as needed.  I haven’t done a thing but push the roots down beside sponge filter blocks fitted into the filter compartments.  I do have some pothos in sponge caddies and the sponge caddies also stabilize the lucky bamboo stems at the top of the tank.

Now, the remaining Jack is possibly the wimpiest Jack ever, but they did tear up the plastic plants I had in their first tank, and did tear up the Vallisneria and Crinums I also tried.  They would sometimes go on a rampage and pull up a sword plant despite having the roots and base well covered with rocks.  A lot is going to depend on the individual and I suspect most oscars are going to be worse than my Jacks have been.  Mine were MUCH worse when they were breeding.

I have bamboo growing out of a HOB on my 75 gallon flowerhorn tank. I haven't had any issues with the roots during maintenance, but I'd imagine some plants get larger root structures than others. 

I've considered trying to use a crinum, planted in a pot, with the pot surrounded by smooth stones. Make it harder to dig up. Not pulled the trigger on that yet, though.