Bump on Eye - Electric Blue Acara

Mattlikesfish36

I’ve had a pair of EBAs for about two weeks now and I just noticed this bump on the eye of one of them. They are in a 40 gallon aquarium with a bristlenose pleco as a tank mate. Temp is 78, pH is 7.6, very hard water (magenta on aquarium co op test strip), and I’m doing 25% water changes weekly. I did one round of paracleanse as a preventative treatment when they arrived but that is all they have received for medications. She seems to be acting/eating normally and swimming laps with her partner. Is this something I should be concerned about? And should I do anything to treat her? Thanks!

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

With how healthy your fish looks, I am leaning towards it being a tumor which can just happen like they do in humans. Fish can live a long time with a tumor.  There are some bacterial/viral infections that can cause lumps similar to that, but they usually have other symptoms and cause obvious irritation. I would not treat with anything unless there is an obvious sign of distress. 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:30 PM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

Is it worth dosing Maracyn or something similar?

I honestly don't know. I'm not sure about the procedure on an aquatic animal. terrestrial I can do. very possibly. that's why I flagged colu

• Thanks 1

I would wait and watch unless it starts looking red, the eye gets cloudy, eye gets bulgy, unusual behavior, it gets fuzzy, changes colors ect. Any other symptoms I would start treating, but it is stressful and expensive to start treating your tank/fish and chasing your tail for something that isn't hurting anything. Name him Quasimodo. Oh, also keep a close eye on other fish. If any of them start getting something similar than you have issues.  

image.png.1d6bf4a4e08aa36e98d5f61739dcb399.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:29 PM, NikkiRae said:

I would wait and watch unless it starts looking red, the eye gets cloudy, eye gets bulgy, unusual behavior, it gets fuzzy, changes colors ect. Any other symptoms I would start treating, but it is stressful and expensive to start treating your tank/fish and chasing your tail for something that isn't hurting anything. Name him Quasimodo. Oh, also keep a close eye on other fish. If any of them start getting something similar than you have issues.  

image.png.1d6bf4a4e08aa36e98d5f61739dcb399.png

@NikkiRae I love the name haha that is perfect. Thanks for all of the advice! 

• Like 1

Could be caused by an injury I would add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 6 gallons at that level most plants are fine and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect if you notice the eye start to swell or any Reddening then I would do a course of maracyn @Mattlikesfish36

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:50 PM, Colu said:

Could be caused by an injury I would add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 6 at that most plants are fine and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect if you notice the eye start to swell or any Reddening then I would do a course of maracyn @Mattlikesfish36

@Colu thanks for this advice! You’ve helped me out a few times lately and I really appreciate it. I’ve got 2 Indian almond leaves in there right now but will add some more along with aquarium salt 

• Like 1