Salt now or later

I've been stocking up on med supplies and salt is one thing I bought. There seems to be two schools of thought on when to use it. 1 Put it in now to help build slime coat as a prevention or 2. use it only when you have a problem. Would like to hear some of your thoughts on what way to go. Fish are Oscar and Pleco in good health.

Thanks

Airborne

If your tank and fish are healthy there's no reason to add salt, the fish will have a good slime coat by just taking good care of everything. I've never heard of using salt all the time just to promote a good slime coat, but then again I don't keep cichlids. 

ill be the devils advocate here. pretty much every living things needs a small amount of salt in its system to function. now i dont advocate going crazy, but a half to full tablespoon of salt for 20/30 gallons or more is not a bad thing (now to really fire people up, yes thats way more than any water softener will ever induce). a tiny bit is good for things imo, and when dosed in higher quantities, its still a good medication.😈

• Like 2