What options do I have for a 55 gallon?

Sartor

Hello,

I’m just now getting a bigger tank after a few years with my 20!
I found someone with a loaded 55 gallon with stand for cheap. Comes with aqua sky light, fluval 407 canister filters and all the extras.
I’m super excited, but am not even sure what I’d like to have other than a community tank. I love pearl gouramis so maybe a few of those? Kuhili loaches or something interesting?

Any tips on canister filters are appreciated too, I’ve never had one!

I’m planning on using fluval stratum for substrate, hopefully heavy planted tank when it grows in. I’ve attached a picture of the tank, and would love suggestions!

Thank you!

1F25DD5F-87F5-43D1-A3BD-69EFDC57B710.png

ED858D0B-8AD8-4F86-9F55-01DE798F667C.png

C36A6B99-5E59-447A-BBDC-77829DE7CE47.jpeg

• Like 2

Lots of options! What do you prefer:

Peaceful community, semi-aggressive, or aggressive?

Hard, alkaline, basic water or soft, neutral to acidic water?

South American topical? North American temperate? Asian tropical? African tropical?

Do you prefer rivers or lakes?

Do you like schooling dither fish, catfishes, or territorial perch-like fishes, such as cichlids, sunfishes, or anabantoids?

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably a peaceful community for now. 
the Ph around here sits at 7.6 usually with the stratum buffering. 

I don’t mind adding some tannins, but wouldn’t want it too dark! I like a more natural tank, or landscape. So far I’ve been using spider wood and dragon stone. Probably more of a River vibe? I’m not great at aqua scraping so I’m open to new ideas as well. 

I love schools, and centerpiece fish! I like an active tank with some color. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:49 PM, Sartor said:

Possibly I guess! I’m researching on the species that fit that category! Do you have any suggestions? 

So when people think of “peaceful South American community,” they think of non-aggressive fish like:

Livebearers (guppies and platies)

Tetras (small ones like neons, medium ones like black skirts, or large ones like bleeding hearts. And there are many, many more)

Catfishes (like Cory cats, Otocinclus, and Ancistrus)

Cichlids (small ones like rams and Apistogramma)

Might want to include drift wood for its tannic and humic acids, not to mention shelter and food.

• Thanks 1

That's a deep tank you'll want some real plants and/or plants that do well with low light

Stuff like Amazon swords, crypts, and anubias. A bonus is that those type of plants are easier to maintain because you don't have to trim them like stem plants

• Like 5

Pearl Gourami are a great option in that sized tank. I would do 3-6. I have kuhli loaches, they are great but very shy. I would get atleast 12 so that hopefully they come out for you. If you go with the kuhli loaches don’t get a ram or apistogramma, espeicially a pair, as they will be too territorial. 

On 4/14/2024 at 12:23 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

So when people think of “peaceful South American community,” they think of non-aggressive fish like:

Livebearers (guppies and platies)

Tetras (small ones like neons, medium ones like black skirts, or large ones like bleeding hearts. And there are many, many more)

Catfishes (like Cory cats, Otocinclus, and Ancistrus)

Cichlids (small ones like rams and Apistogramma)

Might want to include drift wood for its tannic and humic acids, not to mention shelter and food.

Apistogramma are more agressive than people think and in my experience, won’t hesitate to obliterate a guppy. Generally guppys and platys wouldn’t be compatible with that setup because they like hard water and apistos like soft water, although its definetely possible. Also they are more central american than south american.

• Like 3

I agree that pearl gouramis would go well in that community (and so would blue gouramis). And yes, kuhli loaches, too. I just wanted to list South American species, since those three are Asian. They are compatible, though.

As for livebearers, it’s true they tend to be more costal, while most of the other species are more inland. So yes, guppies and platies are adapted to harder water than tetras. However, there is overlap in their tolerances.

As for their ranges, while platies are Central American, guppies come from Venezuela, which is indeed continental South America.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:11 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

I agree that pearl gouramis would go well in that community (and so would blue gouramis). And yes, kuhli loaches, too. I just wanted to list South American species, since those three are Asian. They are compatible, though.

As for livebearers, it’s true they tend to be more costal, while most of the other species are more inland. So yes, guppies and platies are adapted to harder water than tetras. However, there is overlap in their tolerances.

As for their ranges, while platies are Central American, guppies come from Venezuela, which is indeed continental South America.

He had said in his original post that he wanted pearl gourami and kuhli loaches. I think blue gourami and apistogramma are too aggressive to go with guppies.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:16 PM, macdaddy36 said:

He had said in his original post that he wanted pearl gourami and kuhli loaches. I think blue gourami and apistogramma are too aggressive to go with guppies.

I kept both pearl and blue gouramis with guppies no problem for years. Blue gouramis are more assertive than pearls, but still an overall good semi-aggressive community fish in my experience.

I’m a fan of apistos and kuhlis, but have never kept either one, so if you have experience with them, I’ll defer to you on them.

Do you find apistos to be significantly more aggressive than rams? My ram cichlid was a good community member, but perhaps apistogramma are more assertive? Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 1:11 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

I have A. panduro and so far I have had them kill beckford’s pencilfish, guppies, endlers, and nipped honey gourami and took off one of their fins. The guppies are too large to completely be eaten by an apisto but they tear off their fins and then they die. Granted, I have been told A. panduro are one of the more agressive species and all this happened in 20 gallon tanks, not 55s. If you want to try it get one or the more peaceful species like A. borellii, and only get a male, not females.

The only thing I have to say about Kuhlis is apistos don’t like other bottom dwellers and would probably beat them up over time, although they are very fast. Overall they are a pretty simple fish to keep as long as you understand they hide most of the time unless in a very large group. I have 5 now but I used to have 8 and even then I only saw 2-3 at a time. I’m pretty sure I have 5 left because I moved them a few months ago.

I have never had rams so I couldn’t tell you. I expected the apistos to be peaceful but later I went on an apisto specific forum and they said that my apistos behavior was basically the norm.

• Like 2

I would suggest finding the centerpiece fish you love, and building a tank around it.

I know wanting to hear about suggestions is a very common thing but I barely even remember sticking with the stocking plans I make myself. When I visit LFSs, having a chance to observe fish IRL(videos and pictures online may not reflect what you have IRL tbh) changes everything. I personally believe bonding with fish so 

I would start doing a fishless cycle, and meanwhile, if you have access to visit LFSs around, I would visit them during the cycling journey do decide your centerpiece fish(es). This would let you observe the fish, making your research about the care requirements of what you love in person, and prevent impulsive buying in the future.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, Lennie said:

I would suggest finding the centerpiece fish you love, and building a tank around it.

Yep, that’s a good way to put into words, what I think people actually want to do. 👍

Sounds the OP is thinking of pearl gouramis as the centerpiece fish, along with kuhli loaches for the bottom. So, a tropical Asian community (doesn’t mean you can’t use other tropical realms, but there are advantages to staying in-realm).

Pearl gouramis are top layers and large, kuhlis are bottom and small. For mid-water dither fish, you could use Asian minnows like danios or rasboras.

So for example, you could go with 4 pearl gouramis (recommend 1 male with 3 females), a dozen minnows (danios and/or rasbora), and 10 kuhli loaches (they’re social). And  that would be a nice tropical Asian community! 😃

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, Lennie said:

I know wanting to hear about suggestions is a very common thing but I barely even remember sticking with the stocking plans I make myself. When I visit LFSs, having a chance to observe fish IRL(videos and pictures online may not reflect what you have IRL tbh) changes everything. I personally believe bonding with fish so 

I would start doing a fishless cycle, and meanwhile, if you have access to visit LFSs around, I would visit them during the cycling journey do decide your centerpiece fish(es). This would let you observe the fish, making your research about the care requirements of what you love in person, and prevent impulsive buying in the future.

Yes!! I do this a lot and always research the species that catch my eye. The problem is my LFS is okay but not great, and gets really common things in usually. The other is a PetSmart usually with sickly fish. 
I do plan on a fishless cycle, just wanted to get an idea on what I want to go for/ order online or hunt for a local breeder of that species. 

Thank you for this input! It’s always to keep in mind when building a tank 🙂

On 4/14/2024 at 8:36 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

Yep, that’s a good way to put into words, what I think people actually want to do. 👍

Sounds the OP is thinking of pearl gouramis as the centerpiece fish, along with kuhli loaches for the bottom. So, a tropical Asian community (doesn’t mean you can’t use other tropical realms, but there are advantages to staying in-realm).

Pearl gouramis are top layers and large, kuhlis are bottom and small. For mid-water dither fish, you could use Asian minnows like danios or rasboras.

So for example, you could go with 4 pearl gouramis (recommend 1 male with 3 females), a dozen minnows (danios and/or rasbora), and 10 kuhli loaches (they’re social). And  that would be a nice tropical Asian community! 😃

Yes!! Something like that would be beautiful! I know I’ve been looking at rice fish too recently, I’d have to look into detailed care just they come from (I believe?) Japan, and are hardy. 

I picked the tank up today and it ended up being 65 gallons! Little more room lol, and tons of extras. 

Edited by Sartor
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:37 AM, Schuyler said:

That's a deep tank you'll want some real plants and/or plants that do well with low light

Stuff like Amazon swords, crypts, and anubias. A bonus is that those type of plants are easier to maintain because you don't have to trim them like stem plants

I may end up upgrading the light at some point, but I for sure love Amazon swords!! They get huge and beautiful. I use aquarium co-op root tabs and easy green when needed so it should do good. 

In a 65, you’ve really opened up a ton of options compared to a 20, or even a 29. 

I agree that it’s a good idea to decide what centerpiece fish you want (if any) and try to build around that. 

I will also say, that it’s YOUR tank, so do what will make you happy! Nobody ever has to do a biotope or can’t put an Asian fish with a SA fish. As long as the parameters are within reason, the fish will be well cared for, and ultimately that you will enjoy it I say go for it! For example, in my 55 I have 6 Angelfish, Albino Cory’s that I hatched and raised, Cardinal Tetras, and a trio of Dwarf Rainbowfish. Angels and Praecox Rainbows are from completely different parts of the world. However, the Rainbows were in my 29, and when I wanted to do something different with that tank it made the most sense to put them in the 55. It’s not a combo you would see in nature, but I enjoy the combo, and at no point was I going for a South American biotope.

I also agree that less demanding plants will do you well with a tank that tall. In my 55 I have some GIGANTIC Amazon Swords and Jungle Val. They fill out the tank nicely. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Agreed with everyone up top, but I will also add Melanotaenia Kali Tawa. They’ll thrive with basically anything else you add, other than extremely sedate fish. They are a bit pricey, but they are spectacular. Top out around 3” and both males and females look incredible which is rare in the rainbow fish world. 

On 4/14/2024 at 9:57 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Agreed with everyone up top, but I will also add Melanotaenia Kali Tawa. They’ll thrive with basically anything else you add, other than extremely sedate fish. They are a bit pricey, but they are spectacular. Top out around 3” and both males and females look incredible which is rare in the rainbow fish world. 

I love them!! I love the white fins that highlight. Now I’ll have to see if I can find a place that I could even order/ that’s recommended to order from. Aquahuna doesn’t carry them, unfortunately. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, Sartor said:

I like an active tank with some color. 

When I think active with color I think of guppies. A 55 is large enough to do other fish along with guppies. You could do some gourami for fry control. Maybe some cories in the bottom. 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:56 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Pearl Gourami are a great option in that sized tank.

I 2nd this

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:00 PM, Sartor said:

I like an active tank with some color. 

How about Odessa Barbs? Nice color and mine are more hyper than the Tiger Barbs. The ones I got from Aqua Huna are coloring up much better than the PetCo ones I got a few years ago.

I am working on a tank that is big like that,  I am running sand and pea gravel for substrate,  propagate my plants from the cuttings of the stems, for fish I have added so far panda Cory's and otocinclus catfish along with kulhi loaches planning on tiger barbs one of the variations of them a nice big school/shoal

Yeah currently this is a rough idea of a stock list. 

Tank stock list:::

Rummy nose tetra x15

Long fin Bristlenose pleco  x2

Kuhili loach x7

Melanotaenia sp. "Kali Tawa" x 6

Honey gourami or pearl gourami 

Cpd x10

I still need to look into those species before I decide for sure… also need more driftwood for the Pleccos. 

F949ABED-75E2-4733-991C-644FD8C78738.jpeg

• Like 1