Ramshorn Snails

Morning all. I’ve recently acquired a few ramshorn snails for my 25 litre tank that also has some shrimp, danio, mystery snail and nerite snails. However I’ve gone from 2 to 32 (very small at the minute). I just want to check if it will be a major problem and if I can slow down the population by feeding less. I’m not so keen on killing any if possible

IMG_4463.jpeg

You can keep the population in check (and by that I mean slow the rate at which they populate) by reducing how much you are feeding the tank, or at least not increasing the amount you are feeding to compensate for the new residents right now. Ramshorn don’t create a huge bioload. However, you added quite a few. Keep an eye on  your water parameters keep the tank clean. The beneficial bacterial will increase as the snails grow, but you’ll want to make sure you don’t have any ammonia spikes initially due to adding so many. You should be ok though.  

• Like 1

I got these little buggers as hitchhikers on plants and they spread like fire. I can't use traps, loaches, assassin snails as I have red cherry shrimp in this tank. I'll just pick them off manually when i do water changes. won't fully get rid of them but at least i can control the numbers.

I have a bunch, but when they over populate I just put and algae wafer in for around 15 mins then take it out with all the snails.

IMG_0663.jpeg

Edited by Max W.
  • Like 1

I did not start out to have snails but you know how it goes.  I now have Ramshorn snails but don't want an explosion.  I found someone in my area who wanted them and since I am not interested in selling them it is a good match, I have less snails, he has more.