Battling Diatoms in a New Aquarium: Seeking Advice

I'm reaching out for some advice on managing diatoms in my week-old tank. Despite having 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia with nitrate levels around ~20ppm, I'm facing a persistent diatom issue. I've been conducting 30-50% water changes using Fritz enzyme and just added a CO2 system at approximately 1 bubble per second. To combat the diatoms, I introduced a nerite snail, but after a day, there hasn't been much change—I know it's early, but I'm a bit anxious.

I've been using an all-in-one liquid fertilizer and initially had my lights on for 10 hours daily, which I've started to reduce in hopes of controlling the situation. Could the lighting be a contributing factor, or is there something else I might be missing? I'm looking for any tips or shared experiences that might help get these diatoms under control.

Thank you in advance for your insights!

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

Edited by doolypark

In my experience time will allow things to balance out in your aquarium.  I do not have experience with CO 2 or Fritz Enzyme. Put your light on a timer and gradually make adjustments with one thing at a time. Allow a few weeks after you adjust something (like dose of fertilizer). The algae is not the worst thing for a new aquarium so just work on small adjustments.  Don't get discouraged, finding the balance takes time.

Diatom algae will burn itself out anyways.  Cory discussed that in video, some others have also.  The silicate in the substrate or something that they use for the body gets used up.  I have some in my tank the hitchhikers are eating it happily. Cleaning the glass and plants off.  I just added more plants to help use up the nutrients.

Patience is the hardest part of keeping an aquarium. You have an immature eco system and will go through the proverbial awkward teenage years. It's also too early (IMO) for co2 unless you started with a good sized plant mass.  If you do not have a large plant mass, that co2 is only going to grow lots of healthy algae. At this point of the game I'd get a good cleanup crew (otos and nerite  snails)  some easy fast growing plants to help improve water quality and give the tank time to build beneficial bacteria colonizes.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2

@JoeQ It's really tough dealing with these diatoms, and it's getting pretty frustrating. I'm thinking about putting in some hornwort since it grows fast and might fight off the diatoms for nutrients, hopefully knocking them back. But then, I've heard that adding hornwort might just give the diatoms more places to stick to. Also, my nerite snail and oto don't seem to be munching on the diatoms at all

2 weeks is a blink of an eye in the scope of things. It's also not a good idea to start a tank with only slow growing foreground plants. IMO foreground plants need a support system of other fast growing plants to thrive, they should be planted last after the tank is established. If it were me Id remove large pieces of dead organics by hand and lightly gravel vac the rest. Clean filters and add a good layer of pollyfill (filter floss)  as a final stage if possible. This will polish your water & trap incredibly small particules. Dont forget to change this out often, pollyfill is cheap! Get some hornwort in your tank, don't forget to fertilize on a regular basis along with maybe a few fish with a small bio load. I like guppies who seem to pick on anything they see! Don't over feed, they will clean more if you keep them hungry! Adopt a regular maintenance schedule as well, water change, filter cleaning, trimming,  ect.  Successful planted tanks are grown,  this take time, work and patience. They aren't a plug n play hobby like many videos on the youtubes lead you to believe.

Also if you populate with guppies watch adding ANY females or you WILL get babies

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2