Fancy goldfish - ulcers?

bbitsaboy

I have a 150g tank with 11 fancy goldfish of varying sizes, dojo loaches and some kubotai loaches. I had some plecos in the tank but one of them was an eye eater and has been removed. Now that I'm sure the eye eater has been removed I started seeing sores just behind the head along the back of 2 of my goldfish. This started 2 days ago and I had to get some things together for a quarantine tank but it went from "what is that" to "oh my God" way too quickly and put into a 29g tank with aquarium salt and fin & body cure as soon as I got home. 

Is this ulcers, just to confirm because I know that's very contagious and want to try and treat the whole tank if so, but quarantine the 2 that have it worst so they can recover in peace. Please let me know, I love these guys so much and Muffin, the Lavender oranda is my special little girl 8C 

No one else is showing any symptoms currently but I am going to be watching them like a hawk. 

Also in the pictures it looks like white spot, but those are just bubbles, just wanted to clarify. 

20240327_163502.jpg

20240327_163507.jpg

20240327_163517.jpg

Edited by bbitsaboy

Looks like an aggressive bacterial infections could be columnaris that's a gram negative bacterial infection that spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and can kill in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan I would quarantine any showing symptoms and start treatment straight away keep treating with API fin and body cure as you have it to hand and up  level of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon is what i would do if you don't have kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs to hand @bbitsaboy

1000000030.png

On 3/27/2024 at 5:29 PM, Colu said:

Looks like an aggressive bacterial infections could be columnaris that's a gram negative bacterial infection that spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and can kill in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan I would quarantine any showing symptoms and start treatment straight away keep treating with API fin and body cure as you have it to hand and up  level of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon is what i would do if you don't have kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs to hand @bbitsaboy

1000000030.png

Oh wow, okay so raising the temp is actually a bad thing. I will slowly turn the heater down in the quarantine tank. It's at about 76/77 right now as that is what their usual tank is. What would be a good temp to try and keep it at to slow the bacteria? 

I have salt in there, but not at that concentration so I will add some more. I'm going to go the first round with the fin and body but I'll try and get those 2 medications you recommended before I start round two. 

Thank you so much. I've learned a lot in 3 years but haven't dealt with this one before and there are only so many ways you can type in a problem to Google while also trying to get good advice/care instructions.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:12 PM, Tony s said:

@bbitsaboy I would watch your main tank very closely. To make sure it doesn’t spread. That looks like a very aggressive disease. And may spread very easily to the rest 

I am going to watch it like a hawk. I plan on medicating the whole 150g if I have to with a more intense med... I only have 2 smaller spare tanks for treatment (29g and 10g) hopefully now that I am aware of it I can try and pretreat the bigger tank with something less harsh to try and prevent some infections but time will tell. 

• Like 1