Zebra plecos not eating

My zebra pleco haven’t eating anything for the past 2 weeks. I feed them bloodworm and carnivore pellets but they are not eating them. Yesterday I tried to feed them bloodworm again but this time I cover their tank with a piece of table cloth to darken the tank so they can feel more comfortable to come out during the night but this morning when I check the amount of bloodworm still the same as last night. I wonder what advice everyone have for me to help them get back their appetite. Thanks. 

P.S : I have baby guppies and one albino Cory in the tank with my plecos

On 3/24/2024 at 11:05 PM, Loc Tran said:

My zebra pleco haven’t eating anything for the past 2 weeks. I feed them bloodworm and carnivore pellets but they are not eating them. Yesterday I tried to feed them bloodworm again but this time I cover their tank with a piece of table cloth to darken the tank so they can feel more comfortable to come out during the night but this morning when I check the amount of bloodworm still the same as last night. I wonder what advice everyone have for me to help them get back their appetite. Thanks. 

P.S : I have baby guppies and one albino Cory in the tank with my plecos

I suggest check your water parameters asap. @Loc Tran

• Like 1

What temp do you have the water running? Do you have aeration going in the tank besides a single filter? How many Zebras are there, and how many caves, overhangs, hiding spots do you have for them? They like their water warm, in the 86-86 range and they also need plenty of water movement and aeration, most that I have seen and know keeping and breeding zebras have some sort of powerhead and airstone going in the tank. Good luck with them, and hopefully they start eating for you.

• Like 1

I don't know if there is anything specific for this species, but I would highly recommend you to check the video of Rebecca who studies loricariidaes as her PhD and talks about hypancistrus care/diet here. I normally used to feed mine heavily carnivore diet, until I talked to her and read some scientific papers about their actual diet.

Feeding hypancistrus mainly a carnivore diet is a common info online, but it does not seem to reflect their true feeding habit in nature 

Also, I would not advice to feed bloodworms to any fish myself, But def not these plecos. I think they may even choke trying to eat it. Bloodworms are poor in terms of nutrition anyway

• Like 6

On 3/25/2024 at 12:06 AM, Loc Tran said:

This is the parameter in my current tank (20 gallon long). I just do water change today 

IMG_0345.jpeg

If you can place the tubes in front of the white portion of the card it’s much easier to tell the color.  Those look OK from what I can tell, but with such low nitrates, was the tank fully cycled?

I going to ask a lot of questions because the more we know about your set up and experience, the more likely it is that we can help you pinpoint any issues and get things back on track.

What size tank?

What type of filter?

How long has the tank been set up?

Have you fed any vegetables?

Is there well-seasoned wood in the tank?

Are there caves in the tank and how many?  What size caves?

How many total fish and what size are they?

How long have you had them?

Do you have experience with other pleco species?

What pH?

What temp do you have the tank?  It should be 76-86’F (26-31’C) with midrange to slightly higher usually suggested.  By the way, not many cories are going to like the middle or high end of the normal temp range for zebra plecos.  In fact, most fish aren’t going to really like this temp range.  They’re from a small section of the Rio Xingu river so you may need to try to match those parameters for them to do well.

Do you have extra aeration in the tank?  They do like higher temps than most plecos but need extra aeration since they are from warm, but fast moving waters that tumble over lots of rocky areas, so they still carry good dissolved oxygen levels (which tend to drop at higher temps so extra aeration is important).

I know this is a lot, but we need you to help us help you.  This is a more particular species than most which is why so many questions.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 11:00 AM, Odd Duck said:

If you can place the tubes in front of the white portion of the card it’s much easier to tell the color.  Those look OK from what I can tell, but with such low nitrates, was the tank fully cycled?

I going to ask a lot of questions because the more we know about your set up and experience, the more likely it is that we can help you pinpoint any issues and get things back on track.

What size tank?

What type of filter?

How long has the tank been set up?

Have you fed any vegetables?

Is there well-seasoned wood in the tank?

Are there caves in the tank and how many?  What size caves?

How many total fish and what size are they?

How long have you had them?

Do you have experience with other pleco species?

What pH?

What temp do you have the tank?  It should be 76-86’F (26-31’C) with midrange to slightly higher usually suggested.  By the way, not many cories are going to like the middle or high end of the normal temp range for zebra plecos.  In fact, most fish aren’t going to really like this temp range.  They’re from a small section of the Rio Xingu river so you may need to try to match those parameters for them to do well.

Do you have extra aeration in the tank?  They do like higher temps than most plecos but need extra aeration since they are from warm, but fast moving waters that tumble over lots of rocky areas, so they still carry good dissolved oxygen levels (which tend to drop at higher temps so extra aeration is important).

I know this is a lot, but we need you to help us help you.  This is a more particular species than most which is why so many questions.

My tank is 20 long, 3 small size caves since there are 3 zebra plecos, sponge filter with power head since I heard zebra love strong water flow, the tank been set up for 2 weeks before introduce the fish. I have a few guppies and one Cory. I only keep bristle nose before, this is my first time keeping the L number pleco

Wood present and is it seasoned / aged?  Veggies?  Was the tank fully cycled?  How did you cycle it?  How big are the plecos now?  Do I have it right that the tank is 4 weeks old now?  How long have you had fish in this tank?  Was the filter brand new?  Did you see the tank go through a full cycle?  Did you challenge the biofiltration before adding the fish?

I forgot an important question - are the plecos wild caught or tank raised?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 11:17 AM, Odd Duck said:

Wood present and is it seasoned / aged?  Veggies?  Was the tank fully cycled?  How did you cycle it?  How big are the plecos now?  Do I have it right that the tank is 4 weeks old now?  How long have you had fish in this tank?  Was the filter brand new?  Did you see the tank go through a full cycle?  Did you challenge the biofiltration before adding the fish?

I forgot an important question - are the plecos wild caught or tank raised?

Everything that I have set up in the tank are from an established tank that I move over, including a piece of wood. Two exceptions are the rocks and caves and my fish are tank raised

On 3/25/2024 at 3:24 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

What temp do you have the water running? Do you have aeration going in the tank besides a single filter? How many Zebras are there, and how many caves, overhangs, hiding spots do you have for them? They like their water warm, in the 86-86 range and they also need plenty of water movement and aeration, most that I have seen and know keeping and breeding zebras have some sort of powerhead and airstone going in the tank. Good luck with them, and hopefully they start eating for you.

I watched Nick from Keeping Fish Simple and saw that he only used sponge filter with air stone and an aeration from the air tubes for his L046 set up so I tried to do the same except that I have a power head inside the tank. And I keep my fish at 84 degree

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:21 PM, Loc Tran said:

Everything that I have set up in the tank are from an established tank that I move over, including a piece of wood. Two exceptions are the rocks and caves and my fish are tank raised

I watched Nick from Keeping Fish Simple and saw that he only used sponge filter with air stone and an aeration from the air tubes for his L046 set up so I tried to do the same except that I have a power head inside the tank. And I keep my fish at 84 degree

That all sounds perfect.

Have you tried offering some veggies yet so they can munch if they want?  Maybe that will trigger more appetite. I would still offer the meaty foods daily, too.

Did you buy the fish from a breeder or pet store?  Did you have to have them shipped or buy directly?  If they had to be shipped they might have gotten some ammonia burn on their gills and not want to eat. Have you noticed them breathing faster at all?  Can be hard to see with plecos depending on how they position themselves.

I can’t think of anything else right now. Your answers have ruled out most of the obvious potential issues. I know it probably feels like I’m giving you the third degree but I’m just floating out questions as I think of them trying to help you figure this out.  It’s hard when we aren’t right there and able to look, test, etc, ourselves.

I guess I would still add an air stone to the tank, too. You can’t have too much air without doing crazy stuff and a little more air just might help. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix autocorrupt mistake. 🤦🏻‍♀️

On 3/26/2024 at 6:49 AM, Odd Duck said:

That all sounds perfect.

Have you tried offering some veggies yet so they can munch if they want?  Maybe that will trigger more appetite. I would still offer the meaty foods daily, too.

Did you buy the fish from a breeder or pet store?  Did you have to have them shipped or buy directly?  If they had to be shipped they might have gotten some ammonia burn on their gills and not want to eat. Have you noticed them breathing faster at all?  Can be hard to see with plecos depending on how they position themselves.

I can’t think of anything else right now. Your answers have ruled out most of the obvious potential issues. I know it probably feels like I’m giving you the third degree but I’m just floating out questions as I think of them trying to help you figure this out.  It’s hard when we aren’t right there and able to look, test, etc, ourselves.

I guess I would still add an air stone to the tank, too. You can’t have too much air without doing crazy stuff and a little more air just might help. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I bought them directly from store and they all seem to breath normal and slowly. I did at a piece of cucumber in for them to see if they react but to no luck. Maybe I will try to add few shrimps or Ottos to see if that trigger them to have their appetite back