Has anyone dealt with epistylis before?

John Tremper

One of my Gold neon tetras started developing some white spots and under the assumption that it was ich, I treated with Tetra Lifeguard and warm water which made the white spots much larger overnight.

I'm thinking now it might be epistylis but it doesn't quite look the same as some pictures I have seen. Can anyone confirm? 

I currently have the fish quarantined in cool water with a couple drops of methylene blue to kill bacteria that potential parasites might be feeding on, and I'm treating with Seachem Paraguard 

IMG_20240320_132338612~2.jpg

IMG_20240320_151738577~2.jpg

• Sad 1

Possible lymphocystis that a viral infections no treatment available the the nodules may spontaneous disappear after a few weeks provided the water conditions are good and the fish gets the best possible care recovered fish may have some resistance to the disease I can't say for sure that's the cause there could also be a bacterial component what i would do is add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and do a course of kanaplex with aquarium salt just remember to put back in what you take out so if you do a 2 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt only removed though water changes and add an extra air stone during treatment black patches on the fish are indicative of ammonia burn so I would keep a very close eye on your water parameters@John Tremper

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! I think lymphocystis could definitely make sense 🤔 One other gold neon had a single white lump that disappeared not long after I first noticed it. I was thinking epistylis just because the lumps seemed to get bigger in warm water, but that could be a coincidence and the lumps would have gotten bigger anyway even in cool water. I appreciate your input!