Is bristlenose pleco ill?

Hi all. Flint was at the front of the tank today, and I noticed patches on him. Is this illness or just part of his coloration pattern? Other fish in the tank are not presenting any symptoms.  

IMG_7259.jpeg.e49c951f420ec562af599aaf9a71ec32.jpegIMG_7260.jpeg.3782e9a964cb2decc3af632184ba0e2c.jpeg

IMG_7261.jpeg.d11f92e686ce1d48133858d4bd943a01.jpeg

Temp 75

amm 0

nitri 0

nitra 25

gH 150

kH 180

pH 7.2-7.6 (hard to tell)

chlor 0

Will he snag in a net? Should use a cup to catch him, yes?

I have a QT tank cycled and ready to go.

I have a water change and siphon on the schedule today as well. Trust me, I’m well aware of the detritus problem. Detritus collects quickly at his hangouts. Super high bioload; what you see is all from him! Water is changed/tank siphoned weekly.

Update: he’s in a QT. Meds in stock are :

IMG_7263.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9335.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
Updated w/ meds
  • Sad 1

I agree with @Tony s.  It looks more like rubs than illness. If he has a cave feel the inside.  My dad had that happen.  The insides of the caves are often unusually rough textured.  Jungle tabs and kanaplax heal him right up.  I always add 1/8 TEAspoon salt per 10 gallons for dad as well and turn bubbles to max by adding extra airstones.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, Guppysnail said:

I agree with @Tony s.  It looks more like rubs than illness. If he has a cave feel the inside.  My dad had that happen.  The insides of the caves are often unusually rough textured.  Jungle tabs and kanaplax heal him right up.  I always add 1/8 TEAspoon salt per 10 gallons for dad as well and turn bubbles to max by adding extra airstones.  

That’s the course I was considering. No decor in the tank besides plants and spiderwood. I used to have a cave in there but took it out because he wasn’t interested in it.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 6:46 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That’s the course I was considering. No decor in the tank besides plants and spiderwood. I used to have a cave in there but took it out because he wasn’t interested in it.

My bristlenose get this it's usually rubbed when a trapping occurs I leave it a lone and  it always heals with out any need for treatment 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, Tony s said:

Okay, yeah he could snag. But should be relatively easy to Sunday

So. Typing on my iPhone doesn’t always work the best….. apparently   
 I have no idea what Sunday has to do with anything. 🤣 I don’t even remember what I was trying to say. It’s a good thing @Guppysnail and @Colu were great at interpreting 😂

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2024 at 9:42 PM, Tony s said:

So. Typing on my iPhone doesn’t always work the best….. apparently   
 I have no idea what Sunday has to do with anything. 🤣 I don’t even remember what I was trying to say. It’s a good thing @Guppysnail and @Colu were great at interpreting 😂

He was relatively easy to catch on Saturday. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I woke up this morning and panicked- the water in Flint’s QT tank was all cloudy. The night before I had siphoned the debris and dosed with phase 2: JF. Also the tiniest kelp nugget for him, which I believe he consumed because I didn’t see it anywhere in the tank later. Anyway, I changed 50% of the water before heading off to work. I don’t trust cloudy water. It makes me very nervous. 

Came home and tank is clear.  Did the 3rd phase (JF + Kanaplex). Too early to tell if it’s working. He looks all bruised, as shown in the OP, poor fella. I had a small chunk of driftwood in QT because he loves wood, but I took it out. I decided it was too abrasive/too many edges could snag him. Replaced with a very smooth ceramic pleco cave, because he does want to bolt when I introduce light (only used to check symptoms). Now he has a safe place. 

Offered small kelp nugget again but I will check back on it in 30 min and remove it if it is still there (just in case that was the cause of the cloudy water).

Also tested ammonia which is 0.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the treatment in progress. Sorry for the typos. This is a screenshot so I can’t edit. He looked too bad to not treat.

IMG_7265.png.fe15bd4d2fb926f5f22b814cc6cc7f7a.png

I have used this treatment in the past for a different illness, columnaris, and it cleared it up every time. Hoping for good results again this time. 

On 3/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, Guppysnail said:

It looks more like rubs than illness.

I feel like it’s a possibility he got behind the PFS and then got all wiggly. Those things are like dish scrubbers. (Or uh, fish scrubbers?) 🙃

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 10:32 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I woke up this morning and panicked- the water in Flint’s QT tank was all cloudy

2nd panic of the day!!!!!1!1!!!1!!!!!   I double dosed the Kanaplex! And didn’t realize it til 10 or 15 min later! I’ve been so careful to cut and weigh the JF tabs, and drop the water line by a half gallon in the 5.5 tank. But I absentmindedly doubled the Kanaplex (did 2 scoops) because my previous qt was 10 gal and dosing that amount became habit! Omg what a dum dum. Emergency 50 % water change. Flint seems fine. I, however, am about to lose my marbles over here.

I will probably not dose tomorrow and just let him relax.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Checked on my buddy this morning. He is happily eating the catappa leaf.

Am not a fan of long fined bristlenose it's two easy for them to damage there fin 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 3:13 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yeah.

in this case the fins are not the issue

I only keep and breed short fin bristlenose I seen the long fin bristlenose break fins rays  tear fins if you use caves that are to small they can damage there fins body rubbing is common occurrence in my bristlenose especially when breeding  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The last few days I’ve just been doing water changes. The med course was completed and there is carbon and a chunk of poly-filter in there. It is taking some time for him to heal. I did not add any salt because I’m nervous about it as he is a scaleless fish.

IMG_7275.jpeg
fin is a little frayed at the edge now. Not from netting. I caught him in a solo cup. I guess it is stress from the meds.

IMG_7276.jpeg

Looks a little skinny since I haven’t been feeding much while I treated. Tiny amounts. I gave him a piece of morning wood Repashy today.

IMG_7274.jpeg

Sidenote: look at his cute whiskers

Just for comparison, this is what he looks like when healthy.

IMG_7225.jpeg
Keep in mind the lighting is way different in these photos as well.

Is the white spot on a fin ray if it is it could be a callus that's formed on a broken fin ray doesn't look like it has a fuzzy appearance what i would do is add some Indian almond leaves and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys

I put 2 more leaves and 1/2 tbsp salt. He’s in a 5.5gal tank. I already had one leaf in there, mainly for food, but the tannins were being removed by the carbon and the poly filter. I took the carbon and the poly filter out, and I cannot see a blue tint to the water anymore from the jungle fungus tabs. He has had three or four water changes since the medication course ended.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:05 AM, Colu said:

Is the white spot on a fin ray

image.jpeg.89ba524ababc0c381362571a01a02845.jpeg

@Colu the patches got larger. Not raised.

Off white

On 4/1/2024 at 9:52 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m nervous about it as he is a scaleless fish.

They are considered “armored” and are not part of the scaleless fish category.  That is a myth. They tolerate salt quite well. 
Maybe feed more so he has the calorie resources to heal.  Just like we tell humans you have to eat to keep up your strength when they are sick. 
I hope he feels better soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

They are considered “armored” and are not part of the scaleless fish category.  That is a myth. They tolerate salt quite well. 
Maybe feed more so he has the calorie resources to heal.  Just like we tell humans you have to eat to keep up your strength when they are sick. 
I hope he feels better soon. 

The Repashy morning wood I gave him last night was like the size of a half of a die (dice). It was gone by morning.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So it seems Flint was activating his camouflage and wasn’t actually sick. I returned him to the tank and he toned down the camouflage after he made the grand tour enjoying every wall, wood, and plant.

IMG_7290.jpeg

Thanks @Lennie for reaching out to a pleco researcher on our behalf.

• Love 2