Is my guppy okay?

Cjbear087

Hi, just recently one of my guppies has been behaving very weirdly. Yesterday it was very swollen and fat, I went out and came back after a few hours and it was back to normal, but there seemed to be poop halfway out of it (maybe constipated). It seems to have cleared today, but its anus looks almost swollen? It’s acting a bit weird, not swimming with the rest and doesn’t seem to be eating as much. Yesterday when it was bloated it also seemed to be breathing more, but that seems to have also cleared with the bloating. Does anyone knows what’s wrong? I don’t think it’s dropsy as it isn’t bloated anymore but I’m no expert and could be wrong. Water parameters are all okay. Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Sad 1

It looks like a prolapse.  Can you get clearer photos like the second one?  I don’t have great eyes but it looks like a potential for camallanus worms.  
@Colu has treatments for the prolapse and possibly can see better than I can. 

• Like 1

Looks like camallanus worms they can cause prolapse as your fish struggle to pass the parasite the most effective treatment is levamisole active ingredient in expel p treat once a week for 4 weeks you can do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help your fish reabsorb the prolapse @Cjbear087

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:34 PM, Colu said:

Looks like camallanus worms they can cause prolapse as your fish struggle to pass the parasite the most effective treatment is levamisole active ingredient in expel p treat once a week for 4 weeks you can do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help your fish reabsorb the prolapse @Cjbear087

Do I have to put it in a separate tank (haven’t got one) or will it be fine to dose with the rest of my fish?

Treat the main tank as all your fish will need treatment it's only when you get a high parasite burden that you see the red worms protruding for the anus it when it gets to that point your fish can have internal damage causes by the parasite when treating with expel p you want to black the tank out for 24hr during treatment as levamisole is a light sensitive medication and add an extra air stone during treatment@Cjbear087

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Colu said:

Treat the main tank as all your fish will need treatment it's only when you get a high parasite burden that you see the red worms protruding for the anus it when it gets to that point your fish can have internal damage causes by the parasite when treating with expel p you want to black the tank out for 24hr during as levamisole is a light sensitive medication and add an extra air stone during treatment@Cjbear087

So just to sum up….

Treat with Fritz Excel P once a week for 4 weeks (lights off for 24hrs after dosing)

Epson salt baths (1tbsp for one gallon) everyday for 5 days and no longer than 15mins

Also add air stone

That it?

• Like 1

Yes and give your tank a good gravel vac 24 HR after treatment to remove as many expelled parasite and eggs from the substrate as you can 

Edited by Colu

On 3/22/2024 at 4:07 PM, Colu said:

Yes and give your tank a good gravel vac 24 HR after treatment to remove as many expelled parasite and eggs from the substrate as you can 

Ok, and for the Epsom salt baths am I okay to just scoop some tank water out and put it into a small ziploc bag and add salt? How much water should I be adding?

On 3/22/2024 at 4:07 PM, Colu said:

Ok, and for the Epsom salt baths am I okay to just scoop some tank water out and put it into a small ziploc bag and add salt? How much water should I be adding?

On 3/22/2024 at 4:26 PM, Colu said:

Yes tank water fine to use. You want 1 gallon of tank  water  and 1 table spoon of epsom salt I usually add it to a small container or bucket @Cjbear087

Do you know any alternatives to Excel P for the UK? It’s very hard to get over here

On 3/22/2024 at 4:48 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Do you know any alternatives to Excel P for the UK? It’s very hard to get over here

Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole that's readily available in the UK