Stocking ideas?

On 3/15/2024 at 8:13 PM, macdaddy36 said:

WCMMs originally came from cool water streams on the top of a mountain in China

Yes and are now functionally extinct in the wild there. 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:13 PM, macdaddy36 said:

you can technically keep male guppies alone

Yeah, and that’s the way that PetSmart/Petco sells them. All males.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:14 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Just because they can be kept alone doesn't mean it's ideal

Correct, mine was the last one in the store, I almost suggested a trio, but with a school of wccm”s that’s pushing the tank limits. Especially if pandas are also wanted.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:20 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

maybe a cherry barb is an option too

Cherry barbs are an option, but they do prefer to be in a group. The 10g may be too small for both schools.

just checked with aqadvisor. You could do both schools of 6 for 111% of tank capacity. 
add in 1 mystery snail for cleanup crew and your at 116% of capacity with a 38% water change weekly 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:54 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Also a panda Cory, does it need algae to graze on

Yeah, you’re going to want 5-6 pandas, they feel much safer in groups. But they’re incredibly fun just to watch. Gravel isn’t ideal for them either, but small rounded gravel will work 

Panda Cory’s are not algae eaters, but will feed off the bottom picking up leftover food. But they will still need to be fed. Small algae tabs are what I feed all my Cory’s, then a few times a week I give them carnivore pellets instead. 

sorry for the chopped up responses, been driving the last couple of hours (daughter has dance competition this weekend). trying to absorb everything at once. Mind is a bit of a jumble at the moment. 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

Okay was running this through aqadvisor. If you did 6wcmm, 2 honey gourami, 4 panda corys. That would put you at about 114% of capacity with an advisable 37% water change every week, that’s very doable, and you could keep the temperature around 72-74 very easily. But you could do less water changes by adding more plants.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:26 PM, Tony s said:

Yes and are now functionally extinct in the wild there. 

Yeah, and that’s the way that PetSmart/Petco sells them. All males.

Correct, mine was the last one in the store, I almost suggested a trio, but with a school of wccm”s that’s pushing the tank limits. Especially if pandas are also wanted.

Cherry barbs are an option, but they do prefer to be in a group. The 10g may be too small for both schools.

just checked with aqadvisor. You could do both schools of 6 for 111% of tank capacity. 
add in 1 mystery snail for cleanup crew and your at 116% of capacity with a 38% water change weekly 

Ok thanks. I have never used aqadviser, will look into that, btw I actually am up to bigger water changes, on the weekends that is, maybe corys…… 

On 3/15/2024 at 10:49 PM, Tony s said:

Okay was running this through aqadvisor. If you did 6wcmm, 2 honey gourami, 4 panda corys. That would put you at about 114% of capacity with an advisable 37% water change every week, that’s very doable, and you could keep the temperature around 72-74 very easily. But you could do less water changes by adding more plants.

Wow, definitely doable for me! Thanks we will see! Yes 100% into buying more plants! Thanks @Tony s

On 3/15/2024 at 10:41 PM, Tony s said:

Panda Cory’s are not algae eaters, but will feed off the bottom picking up leftover food. But they will still need to be fed. Small algae tabs are what I feed all my Cory’s, then a few times a week I give them carnivore pellets instead. 

sorry for the chopped up responses, been driving the last couple of hours (daughter has dance competition this weekend). trying to absorb everything at once. Mind is a bit of a jumble at the moment. 

Oh wow, well thanks for giving some of your tTime to help me! That is super helpful info and your driving thinking of other things, thanks!

I'm always going to beat this drum, as they're so underrated. But, I would get 15-20 Chili Rasboras. 

When they color up, they are the best looking red fish you can get, imo. 

And...AND....they're practically like shrimp, where they add almost zero to your bio load. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:08 AM, Jeff said:

I'm always going to beat this drum, as they're so underrated. But, I would get 15-20 Chili Rasboras. 

When they color up, they are the best looking red fish you can get, imo. 

And...AND....they're practically like shrimp, where they add almost zero to your bio load. 

Wow, 15, crazy, will 100% look into these @Jeff!!! Thanks 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 1:57 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I have asked this a lot and didn’t get a direct answer (don’t get me wrong, u will not get a direct answer every time) because I never directly asked that if you will, like I asked about algae eating fish, shrimp but not FISH if that makes sense, I have five WCMMs currently and kinda want something else IF POSSIBLY, it is a 10 gallon aquarium with softer water, it is COMPLETELY cycled by the fishless version of cycle. I hope I can get some good suggestions and as always, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance 🙂

-Colten

I would try endlers so colorful 

Edited by johnnyxxl
Autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, Tony s said:

Cool! I STILL can’t decide…even tho I might have an ammonia spike on my hands I still want to decide and plan for it, do pandas  need room at the bottom of the gravel @Tony s?

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah. They like to play at the bottom. But ca also play on bottom plant surfaces like plants 

Thanks, I was just wondering because I have like, no room at the bottom of tank unlesss they swim through the plants, so I am now leaning towards panda, do they add a lot to the bio load of tank? @Tony s

here is what I mean by hardly any room at bottom of tank ⬇️

image.jpg

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 11:12 AM, Tony s said:

More than wcmm but they’re small for corys 

Thanks, I will look into a care guide, think about it, make sure tank is good to go and make a decision. 🙂
I can’t react to any more posts today lol, have been on here for a hour trying to figure out the ammonia situation lol

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tony s said:

Pandas are also in temp range for wcmm as well 

Yes that’s good, prime time aquatics says in the long run they probably would need a 20g tank? Ik I am not going to get that because I have NO space in my house! I think that is a suggestion, but I guess they can fit in a 10g? @Tony s, do you mind checking on aquasviser to see what the percentage would be for 6 pandas and 5 WCMMs? Sorry but I am not techy and I couldn’t figure out fully it, + there is WAY to many ads on there to even see what is happening lol, thanks 😁

Its panda Cory vs harqulin rasboras now……

@Tony s if not that is fine, I will try to figure it out lol, again, not tech! 😉

Edited by Whitecloud09