Green fungus on shrimp

Supermassive

I got some cherry shrimp a few weeks ago and I've seen a few spots of the green fungus on at least one of the shrimp. I've seen photos and videos where the entire belly of the shrimp is covered but I've only seen 2-3 green/yellow specs on just one shrimp in my tank. Is there any chance it will go away on its own if my tank is healthy or is just going to get worse and spread to my other shrimp?

On 3/14/2024 at 5:32 PM, Colu said:

To recommended treatment are malachite green active ingredient in ick X or you can do a hydrogen peroxide treatment

I do have ick X. They are in a 29G planted tank and the shrimp are the only livestock in the tank. Would you try and net them all out or would you treat the whole tank?

On 3/14/2024 at 7:45 PM, Colu said:

If you have enough medication I would treat them were they are if you don't I would catch them and treat in a smaller tank 

I should have enough. I have an unopened 473ml bottle.

What is the actual treatment procedure? How often do I dose for how many days?

• 2 weeks later...

@Colu I did the last does of Ich X today. I'm going to have to try the hydrogen peroxide. The "fungus" looks about the same. Maybe a tiny bit better but not much if any.

For the hydrogen peroxide should I turn off my HOB filter? It just has sponges and bio media, no carbon or anything like that. Also I don't understand the dosing. It says "14.3ml/l H2O2/L". Is that just 14.3 milliliters H2O2 per liter of water? And is the H2O2 going to harm my plants?

This isn't my treatment protocol it's something I came while looking at shrimp disease you can dose 1.5ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per a gallon you can go upto 14.3ml per liter without any adverse effect from what I have read you could start with the lower dose and go from there @Supermassive

On 3/26/2024 at 3:40 PM, Colu said:

This isn't my treatment protocol it's something I came while looking at shrimp disease you can dose 1.5ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per a gallon you can go upto 14.3ml per liter without any adverse effect from what I have read you could start with the lower dose and go from there

Okay that makes sense. Thank you.

Should I only dose it once per day?

On 3/26/2024 at 4:45 PM, TOtrees said:

please obtain and review photos of "berried" cherry shrimps. new eggs can have a greening/brownish hue, and can easily be mistaken for fungus. 

Here's a thread on this forum that has pics of shrimp with fungus, and others with eggs. 

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/13651-red-cherry-shrimp-berried-too-long/

Im aware. I can clearly see that its fungus and not eggs.

• Like 1

I added the last dose of H2O2 today. I can still see the fungus on the one shrimp. It might be a little better but it hasn't changed much so I cant really tell. 

I don't really want to increase the dose of H2O2 so I'm going to isolate him and try salt dips. Seems like people have had success doing that.

On 3/31/2024 at 6:28 PM, Supermassive said:

I added the last dose of H2O2 today. I can still see the fungus on the one shrimp. It might be a little better but it hasn't changed much so I cant really tell. 

I don't really want to increase the dose of H2O2 so I'm going to isolate him and try salt dips. Seems like people have had success doing that.

Is it just the one shrimp with green fungus now 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:30 PM, Supermassive said:

It was always just the one shrimp

For some reason I thought it was more shrimp affected if salt baths  don't work I would try treating in your quarantine tank with a higher dose of hydrogen peroxide 3ml per gallon other than that there's not a lot else treatment wise i could recommend 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:17 PM, Colu said:

For some reason I thought it was more shrimp affected if salt baths  don't work I would try treating in your quarantine tank with a higher dose of hydrogen peroxide 3ml per gallon other than that there's not a lot else treatment wise i could recommend

Originally I didn't know if it was just one shrimp or if there were more. I guess I never actually said it is for sure just one.

Ill put him in QT and try the salt dips. Then more H2O2 if that doesn't work. Thank you.

• Like 1

There are at least three shrimp infected. I'm pretty sure there was only one shrimp with a visible infection before I started the treatment. It seems like it just showed up today or yesterday on the other ones.

There are three amanos in the tank and the H2O2 seemed to stress them a lot more than the cherries. Would they be okay with 3ml per gallon H2O2? Should I just isolate all the cherries? Are they probably all infected already?

On 4/1/2024 at 8:26 PM, Supermassive said:

There are at least three shrimp infected. I'm pretty sure there was only one shrimp with a visible infection before I started the treatment. It seems like it just showed up today or yesterday on the other ones.

There are three amanos in the tank and the H2O2 seemed to stress them a lot more than the cherries. Would they be okay with 3ml per gallon H2O2? Should I just isolate all the cherries? Are they probably all infected already?

Am not sure if that level of hydrogen peroxide would be  safe for amano as there different species what might be safe for your cherry shrimp might be harmful to your amano I would quarantine any cherry shrimp showing symptoms and treat especially if there stressed by the the lower dose of hydrogen peroxide 

• Thanks 1