Red cherry shrimp berried too long?

Roasty Toasty

I'm semi-new  to keeping cherry shrimp and after about 4 months I've started to see them breed but have yet to be successful. I have a large female who is berried and it all seems to be contained under her abdomen area and the process seems to be going correctly for her. I have two smaller females and some of their eggs are hanging out of their abdomen, they don't fan their eggs nearly as often and one has been berried now for almost 5 weeks which from what I read is too long. Ill attach a few pictures of the smaller ones. Could the smaller ones eggs maybe not be fetilized? Any ideas? Thanks. 

On 7/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, kammaroon said:

Looks similar to this problem:

Yup that's exactly what it looks like when they're in the water. I've tried ich-x but I'm not sure it's done anything. I'm just culling anything i see like that now. About 1 a week or so but it does seem to be improving. This might just be a long term fight.

• Like 1

It is ellobiopsidae.  I’ve encountered it. Remove immediately I know of no effective cure. It can remain dormant 6 months. Rachael o Leary has a great video on it

highly contagious to other shrimp

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information, seems to be exactly what I was dealing with. I removed the 2 shrimp that were definitely infected and I'm quarantine with ich-x and high tannins in the water. We will see how that helps. One larger female is for sure berried, it is clearly eggs and all seems to be normal for her. Any recommendations on how to keep the rest of the colony safe? All the treatments seem to put me at risk of losing my whole colony. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I wanted to add an update to this post because not much information was available except for the one linked. I quarantined the two shrimp with elobiopsidae and put them in a quarantine tub with lots of tannins in the water through almond leaves and I treated daily with the recommended dosage of ich-x due to its antifungal abilities. That along with the biweekly 50% water changes the fungus has disappeared and the shrimp have molted successfully twice. Everything seemed to heal them properly, it just took several weeks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 8/23/2021 at 11:15 PM, Roasty Toasty said:

UPDATE: I wanted to add an update to this post because not much information was available except for the one linked. I quarantined the two shrimp with elobiopsidae and put them in a quarantine tub with lots of tannins in the water through almond leaves and I treated daily with the recommended dosage of ich-x due to its antifungal abilities. That along with the biweekly 50% water changes the fungus has disappeared and the shrimp have molted successfully twice. Everything seemed to heal them properly, it just took several weeks. 

WOW that is awesome.  This is the first time hearing about it being treatable.  Happy for you and your little guys. Have they been reintroduced into the colony or or they still in QT?

On 8/24/2021 at 8:00 AM, ARMYVET said:

WOW that is awesome.  This is the first time hearing about it being treatable.  Happy for you and your little guys. Have they been reintroduced into the colony or or they still in QT?

I picked up a little 5 gallon and have them with some snails to observe them over the next couple months. Want to make sure I keep the rest of my colony safe so I might just keep them there forever and introduce a few males to breed with. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, Roasty Toasty said:

I picked up a little 5 gallon and have them with some snails to observe them over the next couple months. Want to make sure I keep the rest of my colony safe so I might just keep them there forever and introduce a few males to breed with. 

Always nice to succeed when you have sick fish, treatments and meds seem to have about maybe 30% success rate in my fish room. Every time I’m successful I make my wife come listen to me nerm out on her for at least 1/2 hour 

👏 great job👏 

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, Atitagain said:

Always nice to succeed when you have sick fish, treatments and meds seem to have about maybe 30% success rate in my fish room. Every time I’m successful I make my wife come listen to me nerm out on her for at least 1/2 hour 

👏 great job👏 

Its rewarding seeing all my hardwork with the tanks paying off. I think my love for the aquariums has rubbed off on my wife  because I catch her checking them out all the time now. 🤣

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, its been months now since I've noticed any elements of the fungus on my shrimps. Plenty of shrimps have berried and had babies. However. One of them looks to be having something under them which I believe is eggs she is dropping because it looks a lot different than the fungus had looked previously. I believe it is her first time being berried so maybe she just had a bad go? What do ya'll think? Thanks you. 

Snapchat-808517415.jpg

Snapchat-543217438.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, Roasty Toasty said:

Okay, its been months now since I've noticed any elements of the fungus on my shrimps. Plenty of shrimps have berried and had babies. However. One of them looks to be having something under them which I believe is eggs she is dropping because it looks a lot different than the fungus had looked previously. I believe it is her first time being berried so maybe she just had a bad go? What do ya'll think? Thanks you. 

Snapchat-808517415.jpg

Snapchat-543217438.jpg

DOes look like shes dropping the eggs. 

Generally if a berried shrimp is dropping eggs something is going on with the mothers health or with the water quality. If you've done a big water change and the params are drastically different a female will drop her eggs as she's more than likely going to find a place to get ready for an 'out of schedule' molt. You can artificially raise these eggs in a tumbler, but if you have other shrimp producing there isn't really a need.

• 2 weeks later...

New young mothers often drop some eggs. Its nothing to worry over. It’s a learning curve thing. When there is something wrong I have watched one intentionally drop the eggs it looks more like they are pushing them out than dropping them. Yours looks on the small side so young and accidentally dropping. The pushing out when I seen it she curved a bit to expel the eggs it almost looked like she was in labor sort of. Hard to explain but the eggs were discolored on the surface that she pushed out. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

New young mothers often drop some eggs. Its nothing to worry over. It’s a learning curve thing. When there is something wrong I have watched one intentionally drop the eggs it looks more like they are pushing them out than dropping them. Yours looks on the small side so young and accidentally dropping. The pushing out when I seen it she curved a bit to expel the eggs it almost looked like she was in labor sort of. Hard to explain but the eggs were discolored on the surface that she pushed out. 

I have seen that happen sometimes with first time mothers, but then they molt and go on to having shrimplets the next time around.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, Roasty Toasty said:

Snapchat-808517415.jpg

Snapchat-543217438.jpg

Definitely not holding onto her clutch well.