LFS - EBAs had Ich, were treated, and now for sale

J3azy

Hello,

I am new to the hobby, purchased a 10G in 11/2023 and a 75G in 2/2024. The 75G went through a fishless cycle and I am now adding fish. My LFS has some electric blue acaras that I want for the 75G, but their stock of EBAs was on hold last week due to ich.  I called yesterday and the fish are no longer on hold and available for sale. Should I have any concerns about purchasing fish that recently had ich? I am wondering if I should buy or wait another week or two.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, J3azy said:

Hello,

I am new to the hobby, purchased a 10G in 11/2023 and a 75G in 2/2024. The 75G went through a fishless cycle and I am now adding fish. My LFS has some electric blue acaras that I want for the 75G, but their stock of EBAs was on hold last week due to ich.  I called yesterday and the fish are no longer on hold and available for sale. Should I have any concerns about purchasing fish that recently had ich? I am wondering if I should buy or wait another week or two.

I personally would wait the week or two.@J3azy

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, J3azy said:

Hello,

I agree with waiting. It's better to be patient and have the peace of mind that you're getting healthy fish. It could also depend on the LFS's track record. If you've been buying from them for a while and feel like they sell healthy fish, maybe the risk isn't that great. A good LFS will put the health of the fish first. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I’ll give them a call and see if they’ll hold some for me, otherwise I’ll just wait another week. As a new hobbyist, I haven’t had to deal with ich and would like to avoid it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:16 PM, J3azy said:

Thanks for the replies! I’ll give them a call and see if they’ll hold some for me, otherwise I’ll just wait another week. As a new hobbyist, I haven’t had to deal with ich and would like to avoid it.

good choice, best to avoid the problems if you can.

• Like 1