Help - CoOp sponge filter problem

Jeff

I have two Co-Op sponge filters going with the extensions on. First time using them. Both are in the same tank. 

Co-Op dual air pump running them. 

I have the pump on full blast. One filter is working perfectly. The other is getting air, but not nearly as much. 

I took it apart, followed the video on how to set up, and still the one is not getting enough air as the other. 

Is a potential leak in the Co-Op tubing the only possible answer?

Edited by Jeff

On 3/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, Jeff said:

Is a potential leak in the Co-Op tubing the only possible answer?

Could be a leak in the line. Could be a few things. Are you using the air collars? What happens if you switch the lines on the pump? Does the one that wasn’t working as great now suddenly work great, and the one that used to work great now have less air?

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

Yeah, using all of the air collars. 

I switched the lines on the pump (never thought of that; thanks @AllFishNoBrakes). It improved the one that wasn't working so well a decent amount; but it's now seeming to be an issue at the base. I pulled it off...there's nothing blocking it...but here's the difference. Hopefully you can tell.

The one that's not working so well is more of a stream...vs the other good one is a mixed stream.

Here's the one that's not working so well. 

stream.png

I would ensure the air collars are clear. I’ve had mine for several months now, and figured out a good way to clean/clear them. 

I take a piece of airline tubing, and I have that attached to a 20ml syringe. The other end of the airline gets attached to the air collar. 

Use a cup of hot water, and submerge the collar. Draw back on the syringe. This will create a vacuum, and will draw air in. You can then push on the plunger of the syringe HARD (keeping the collar submerged) and it will blow out the collar. Do this several times, remove from the water, and then continue to plunge HARD with just air to clear the collar. Reinstall. 

Also, with switching the lines and the problem flip-flopping that leads me to believe one outlet or side of the air pump is weaker than the other. 

I love the ACO air pumps, and I absolutely love the air collars, but I’ve since replaced the ACO air pumps  with the air collars as I simply want more air than they’re currently producing. 

Here’s how mine look:

IMG_6650.jpeg.fa2db555e96fc2d4a07eb83db940df91.jpeg
This one has less air than the pic below, but still plenty of flow  notice how the bubbles are coming out all around the collar  

IMG_6651.jpeg.752bac499dbc2b7b41f78d331fe92874.jpeg

This one has more air, which is pretty obvious, but still has bubbles coming out all around the collar. (Disregard the tannins in this Blackwater tank). 

Yours having like 3 places where the bubbles are coming out leads me to believe maybe the collar isn’t clear and therefore not functioning as intended. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

Posted (edited)

I posted in the Facebook group about this as well, and someone responded that if the lines weren't the same length, that could affect things too / using a gang valve. 

All good things to consider. 

I'm just happy that switching the lines on the pump helped quite a bit. I was getting a bit worried. 

Edited by Jeff