Injury or Fin Rot?

Ronnie

We had a pretty bad round of fin rot with this guy several months back so I’m a little neurotic. 🙃

Water parameters are all good! 

ammonia: 0ppm

nitrite: 0ppm

nitrate: <5ppm

He has a little red spot on the edge of his fin. He’s acting normal, eating well, and swimming around happily as I type this out  I’m hoping it’s just a little injury? 😅

Thanks in advance for your help! IMG_1716.jpeg.5ea3552c03c82c1bca0641a8ba4adc57.jpeg

I'd say for now treat it as an injury. And keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse it is probity a fungal infection, or fin rot.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:03 PM, Ronnie said:

We had a pretty bad round of fin rot with this guy several months back so I’m a little neurotic. 🙃

He has a little red spot on the edge of his fin. He’s acting normal, eating well, and swimming around happily as I type this out  I’m hoping it’s just a little injury? 😅

Thanks in advance for your help! IMG_1716.jpeg.5ea3552c03c82c1bca0641a8ba4adc57.jpeg

• Love 1

Yeah regular water changes and good water quality and attention to him is what you should do, I would not panic even after din rot on him, red spot can mean continued infection BUT that might not be it. But watch him day by day, and yeah it should be fine.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:03 PM, Ronnie said:

• Love 1

@Whitecloud09 @JosiahBass

No change in the red spot. I am seeing him drag his fin in that spot across the gravel a lot. His tail has gotten huge since he healed from fin rot the first time! Could that cause the red spot? Should I add aquarium salt as a precaution, or just continue to watch him? His water parameters are the same as above. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 2

@Ronnie

You should start treating him. Are you using any medication, if not here are 2 good ones API Melafix or API Pimafix. I would try these meds before salt treatment, at least for me.

If you have anymore questions please ask.👍

On 3/9/2024 at 5:16 PM, Ronnie said:

No change in the red spot. I am seeing him drag his fin in that spot across the gravel a lot. His tail has gotten huge since he healed from fin rot the first time! Could that cause the red spot? Should I add aquarium salt as a precaution, or just continue to watch him? His water parameters are the same as above. 

Thanks again! 

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much! Medication has been dispensed. When can I hope to see an improvement? How will I know if I need to adjust anything?  He still has some discoloration on the end of his fin. Will the tip of his fin rot off before I see any improvement? I caught it a lot sooner this time (he came with it when I got him before, and I didn’t know what I was looking at right away.) So I’m not sure what to look for from here…it was severe enough last time that any improvement was very very obvious. He's still active, eating, and behaving normally. 

Thanks again! 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

Depending on the medication yo decided to use would determine, how long it will take, if you need to do water changes with the medication. How long have you been using the medication?

On 3/13/2024 at 10:05 AM, Ronnie said:

Thank you so much! Medication has been dispensed. When can I hope to see an improvement? How will I know if I need to adjust anything?  He still has some discoloration on the end of his fin. Will the tip of his fin rot off before I see any improvement? I caught it a lot sooner this time (he came with it when I got him before, and I didn’t know what I was looking at right away.) So I’m not sure what to look for from here…it was severe enough last time that any improvement was very very obvious. He's still active, eating, and behaving normally. 

Thanks again! 

Most case of fin rot are caused by gram  negative bacterial infections so the recommended treatment would be kanaplex a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment Melafix and pimafix are more of a mild antiseptic when it comes to  treating bacterial infections better at treating some types of fungal infections if your going use   one these medication i would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 2 weeks just remember to only put back in what you take out of if you do a 2 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt only removed though water changes 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 10:05 AM, Ronnie said:

Thanks again! 

Your looking for healing fins, mostly any improvement if any and let me say this, nobody really knows how long it can take for improvements and sometimes it can take months like my betta for example, he has been sick for maybe…..6 months (no joke) still alive, some improvements but some times he  gets  worse. Fish are kinda unpredictable in a way but anyways I would extremely advise you to take @Colu advice on these medications and especially salt, I love that stuff, @Ronnie  oh I almost forgot, what medication did you decide on for treatment?

Edited by Whitecloud09

I wound up using Kanaplex! I just dispensed it. I put aquarium salt (1.5 tsp)/gallon in the tank while I was waiting on the medicine to come in the mail. Which leads me to my next question—will mixing them cause issues? I can do a water change and re-dispense medication if needed. 

@Whitecloud09 This is actually kind of validating. I keep the tank pristine and I have done everything I can for this poor fish. He has kind of been sickly from day one—but I love him and I want to give him the best shot I can. It’s good to hear that slow healing is sometimes how it goes and I’m not necessarily doing anything wrong. 🙃 I never thought I could get so attached to a fish! 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, Ronnie said:

I wound up using Kanaplex! I just dispensed it. I put aquarium salt (1.5 tsp)/gallon in the tank while I was waiting on the medicine to come in the mail. Which leads me to my next question—will mixing them cause issues? I can do a water change and re-dispense medication if needed. 

@Whitecloud09 This is actually kind of validating. I keep the tank pristine and I have done everything I can for this poor fish. He has kind of been sickly from day one—but I love him and I want to give him the best shot I can. It’s good to hear that slow healing is sometimes how it goes and I’m not necessarily doing anything wrong. 🙃 I never thought I could get so attached to a fish! 

I would not mix them personally to be safe, they may react to each other, I would start with kanaplex. Yes sometimes it takes a long time to heal, but keep fighting! Yes I am so attached to my sick betta to!

On 3/13/2024 at 9:16 PM, Ronnie said:

Salt won't cause any negative interactions with kanaplex it's fine to use the two together 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:44 PM, Colu said:

Salt won't cause any negative interactions with kanaplex it's fine to use the two together 

Oh ok, that answered my question too @Colu thanks, since it isn’t really a medication, just aquarium salt I should of guessed, thanks

Thanks again everyone! Last question (I think 😂). Should I re-dose the salt to the level it is at currently when I do water changes, or just leave things alone in that regard? 

• Like 1

I’m just getting ready to dose Kanaplex for the 3rd time. His fin looks less ragged to me—but he still has the red streaks on the edge of his fin. Where should I go from here? Does the red take a while to go away (like a bruise), or is this still a sign of active infection? 

• Like 1

If he sill has Redding to the fins that's a sign of an active infection you might have to do two courses of kanaplex back to back can you take a picture of the fins @Ronnie

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Looking at the pictures that doesn't look to bad  the Redding could be because it has a long tail fin and he's catching or Irritating it on something in the tank I wouldn't do another course of kanaplex I would just keep the aquarium salt at 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for another week than give an update @Ronnie

• Like 1

His fin has improved quite a bit over the last couple of days! It looks little red on top now—but the bottom looks much much better. Would you continue with the Kanaplex since I’m now seeing improvement, or just go with the salt? He would be due for another dose this evening. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, Ronnie said:

His fin has improved quite a bit over the last couple of days! It looks little red on top now—but the bottom looks much much better. Would you continue with the Kanaplex since I’m now seeing improvement, or just go with the salt? He would be due for another dose this evening. 

That’s great! For kanaplex, the thing is, how many full doses have you done @Ronnie? If you have done 2, personally I would go with salt from here but how many doses again @Ronnie?