Planning on a new shrimp tank

I am now planning on a shrimp tank, a 3.5 gallon tank from petsmart I have seen and wanted for like 2 years and ended up with bigger tanks than that. Now I would like a little shrimp tank with some moss and rock for decor. Advice on how many, what kind, their paremeters and so on, any advice taken, also wonder the total of this tank and decor + live plants without including maintenance like water conditioner stuff and test kits and everything you would need for any fish tank, thanks in advance 🙂. So new to shrimp and very interested!

From my experience I would start out with neocaridina shrimp. Dont over think it, they are extremely easy to keep, just make sure you are putting them in a well established aquarium.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:31 PM, T. Payne said:

you are putting them in a well established aquarium

This. Means lots of patience with a very established tank. Very well cycled. I don’t believe they can handle much in the way of new tank instability. Maybe switch tanks with your betta. It’s should be much more seasoned 

• Like 1

I agree that a well seasoned tank is the secret to success with shrimp. You want algae for the shrimp to graze on. You want moss for the shrimp to graze on. Seasoned is more than just cycled, and you want a seasoned tank to be successful with shrimp. 

• Like 2

Or possibly getting an extra sponge and running it with the minnows for a few weeks? Not honestly sure how tough they are. 

But you got this. It’s just another way to learn and enjoy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 7:31 PM, T. Payne said:

From my experience I would start out with neocaridina shrimp. Dont over think it, they are extremely easy to keep, just make sure you are putting them in a well established aquarium.

Thanks I guess I will have to order online because no stores have those in my area for some reason. I will do that AFTER  long cycle with live plants

On 3/2/2024 at 7:46 PM, Tony s said:

Maybe switch tanks with your betta. It’s should be much more seasoned 

Yes that is a option but idk because that dude is a sick betta, bout to treat him with kanaplex.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I agree that a well seasoned tank is the secret to success with shrimp. You want algae for the shrimp to graze on. You want moss for the shrimp to graze on. Seasoned is more than just cycled, and you want a seasoned tank to be successful with shrimp. 

Thanks for the info! Yes definitely getting moss in there 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:55 PM, Tony s said:

Or possibly getting an extra sponge and running it with the minnows for a few weeks? Not honestly sure how tough they are. 

But you got this. It’s just another way to learn and enjoy. 

Yes maybe, @Tony s @T. Payneand @AllFishNoBrakes thanks for all this I appreciate it a lot!

Edited by Whitecloud09

"Occulating" the filter with bacteria in another tank is always a good start, given you will have time. After that, you get plants, and ideally plants form other keepers. Newly bought plants have a hard time first few months before they become thriving. Do not put a moss in an undeveloped/immatue tank as it will be infested with algae and you will most likely throw most of it out

Start with fast growing plants, even if you wont keep them there forever. Hygrophilla, rotalla. Floating plants, to help with excess nutrients, like salvinia that you will be throwin out later on. One slow growing plant, anubias, java fern

Adding shrimp to a tank requires loads of patience, the tank should be running for three months at least, then add the moss, wait a month or two, add the shrimp. Then you will wait other two months at least before they start to breed, around that time dosing with bacter AE,.. Feeding shrimp in a shrimp only tank is a challenge, as keepers like to overfeed oh so much. Once a week should be enough. Question is what to feed, but that is a different topic

Frankly my most successful shrimp tank now is my asian 150 liter tank chock full of white cloud minnows, panda garra and sewellia because NONE of the fish eat even the smalles babies, so I have tens and tens sititng on the stones next to the fish, I am fully confused by this 😄

Last point of mine is, the smaller the tank, the more likely a disaster will happen. I dont think under 25 liters are good tanks, and I think one has much easier time skipping a maintenance or slightly overfeeding and not having it end in a disaster. Also, but that is my two cents, shrimp only tanks become boring real quick 🙂 like a year

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 8:05 AM, beastie said:

"Occulating" the filter with bacteria in another tank is always a good start, given you will have time. After that, you get plants, and ideally plants form other keepers. Newly bought plants have a hard time first few months before they become thriving. Do not put a moss in an undeveloped/immatue tank as it will be infested with algae and you will most likely throw most of it out

Start with fast growing plants, even if you wont keep them there forever. Hygrophilla, rotalla. Floating plants, to help with excess nutrients, like salvinia that you will be throwin out later on. One slow growing plant, anubias, java fern

Adding shrimp to a tank requires loads of patience, the tank should be running for three months at least, then add the moss, wait a month or two, add the shrimp. Then you will wait other two months at least before they start to breed, around that time dosing with bacter AE,.. Feeding shrimp in a shrimp only tank is a challenge, as keepers like to overfeed oh so much. Once a week should be enough. Question is what to feed, but that is a different topic

Frankly my most successful shrimp tank now is my asian 150 liter tank chock full of white cloud minnows, panda garra and sewellia because NONE of the fish eat even the smalles babies, so I have tens and tens sititng on the stones next to the fish, I am fully confused by this 😄

Last point of mine is, the smaller the tank, the more likely a disaster will happen. I dont think under 25 liters are good tanks, and I think one has much easier time skipping a maintenance or slightly overfeeding and not having it end in a disaster. Also, but that is my two cents, shrimp only tanks become boring real quick 🙂 like a year

Thanks for that info, I might think on this first before spending a hundred bucks….we will see! 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks for that info, I might think on this first before spending a hundred bucks….we will see! 🙂

That is why I would go for a bigger tank. You can still start a colony, have fun watching them for a while, squeel at baby shrimp, be conserned for a shrimp molt first few times, watch them do their astronaut swim, and once that that starts to be boring, add a group of nano fish like microrasboras or clown killifish and enjoy a different tank. Cant do that with a 3gallon

• Like 1

I wouldnt go bellow 25 liters, 40x25x25 cm, I believe this space is present on most work desks/cabinets and a normal table or a kitchen countertop or even an ikea dresser can hold this no problem. 

• Thanks 1

That is an option 🤣

On 3/3/2024 at 8:20 AM, beastie said:

I wouldnt go bellow 25 liters, 40x25x25 cm, I believe this space is present on most work desks/cabinets and a normal table or a kitchen countertop or even an ikea dresser can hold this no problem. 

So basically like a 6 gallon right?

You have the first stages of multiple tank syndrome. 🤣. I’ve had that for several years now. Always wanting to try something new and different. When it bites you, it can bite really hard!

• Haha 1

I believe I’ve covered most flat surfaces in my house. Had one one the kitchen counter until last month when I moved it’s inhabitants into another tank. Asked my wife what she wanted to try next, she wanted to try removing it. So I did. I’m nice that way. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 8:23 AM, Tony s said:

You have the first stages of multiple tank syndrome. 🤣. I’ve had that for several years now. Always wanting to try something new and different. When it bites you, it can bite really hard!

Yeah I really want something different, BUT, no 20 gallons in my house, NO ROOM LOL. That would be impossible lol

10 is my minimum actually, I wish I had more tables and furniture but nope

Edited by Whitecloud09