Monte Carlo 'Pearl White'

Picked this up today. Absolutely beautiful! I'm guessing the green bits are new growth and will turn white. My LFS said it's very hard to grow this version. We'll see about that! Wish me luck!

20240301_124516.jpg

Edited by Scrapper
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

On 3/2/2024 at 11:22 AM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

I've been interested in learning more about white (sometimes called platinum?) plants. It seems like they're white because they lack the normal amount of chlorophyll, used in photosynthesis, which would leave them slow-growing.

They are very slow growing and highly prone to melting.  Pink Panther crypts are highly prone to melting and fading with moderately high light and CO2 and they still have green chlorophyll, just reduced.  The pinto and white rose forms of Anubias are also extremely prone to melt unless in perfect conditions.

I still have a tiny remnant of Anubias pinto struggling along in one of my 6G cubes attached very high on the rock so it only has about 2” of water above it at max water depth.  It is centered under the light (not a great light) and also gets just a touch of diffuse sunlight. The tank is currently only shrimp and a few snails so it has minimal algae but this plant has 4 tiny leaves and hasn’t really changed much in the last 2 years.   Other Anubias and Java ferns in the tank are prospering at substrate level.  It looks pitiful.  It’s the only Anubias in all my tanks that gives me trouble (as long as whichever tank they're in is appropriately in balance and not rampant with algae).

Any white form of a plant is going to struggle to survive and need near perfect conditions both in nutrients and water quality since it can’t feed itself without chlorophyll in its tissues.  Even heavily white streaked land plants struggle.  People who get Monstera ‘Albo’ varieties that go to all white leaves pretty much always lose them because they can’t survive.  Even the variegated forms are challenging to grow.  Beware of all white plants or at least be aware of potential outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2