MY TANK IS LEAKING!

My 14 gallon frameless cube community tank is leaking. It's a slow leak -- I noticed after my WC Monday that my water level has dropped over an inch last night. I found the carpet under my tank stand and some of the surrounding carpet is also wet. I cannot find where it is leaking from!!!! 

I know I don't have time to cycle a new tank to upgrade. I can get a new tank tonight -- but should I just move everything over and keep everything wet to avoid damaging my cycle?

I have a PLANTED gravel tank with 5 molly fish, 2 nerite snails and 4 Shrimp (blue velvet and orange rilli). 

What should I do guys?!?!?!? Am I racing against the clock here and need to make the move tonight, or do I have a couple weeks to order a nice new Waterbox?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by tipzythegreat

start a tote up. probably right now. can put everything from the aquarium into the tote, temporarily. substrate, plants, filter, decor, whatever you want to maintain its cycle. 

treat it exactly like an aquarium, it basically is at this point. that gives you time to figure things out. and much better than ruined floors

if you can figure out how high the leak is you could also run low water levels for a while. but it may be too far down to mess with

• Like 3

Thanks guys. My only option on hand is a 2.5 gallon tank or a 1 gallon hospital tank... I don't think everything will fit in them to be honest.

I should be able to go look at replacement aquariums shortly. Seems like I don't have time to waste!!!!

Do you have a Walmart or Dollar General close? You could pick up a storage tote pretty cheap and use for the moment until you figure out a tank. The bonus would be the tote can be used as a hospital/ quarantine tank layer on… or an emergency aquarium for issues like this one. 

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 1:42 PM, tipzythegreat said:

Guys- I thought tote was a special name for something LOL.

I'll grab a tote if I can't find a tank I like enough.

Thanks for all your help. 

It's dropped below this line since 830am

20240229_133559.jpg

Nah, just a plastic storage tote. We ain’t fancy here 😂

• Haha 2

On 2/29/2024 at 2:20 PM, johnnyxxl said:

I would put everything in a storage tote and strip the silicone and redo the tank

well. yes, theres always that option. but... 30g>15g,  and then you could fix the 15. just sayin

• Like 1

Thanks for all the speedy replies. I ended up getting a 29 gallon tank. It's just top fin- but it came with a heater, hood, net, thermometer and filter. BUT it fit on my existing stand and I had to buy nothing extra. My existing filter is rated to 30 and I am running my old heater and the new one since both are only 100w. The best part? It was $93!

I went to 5 stores and called around. My ideal was a 25 frameless. Nobody had anything like that. I debated ordering a waterbox but in the end this is just so much more cost effective.

I did want the 35 cube... but it wouldn't fit on my existing stand. I also fell in love with the 32.5 fluval 😍 ... but it also needed a stand and would have ran me $650

I tossed the old tank. I still can't definitely tell where it was leaking and I won't ever trust it again!

• Love 2

I think the 29 is pretty, too. Like the shape of it isn't super commanding like a big tank.

I will say it was horrible planting the gravel... The tank is as deep as my arm. But we got it done and all critters were accounted for!

It looks so empty but I went from a 14g cube! Time for more plants!!!!!!!

20240301_084427.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/1/2024 at 9:06 AM, tipzythegreat said:

I think the 29 is pretty, too. Like the shape of it isn't super commanding like a big tank.

I will say it was horrible planting the gravel... The tank is as deep as my arm. But we got it done and all critters were accounted for!

It looks so empty but I went from a 14g cube! Time for more plants!!!!!!!

20240301_084427.jpg

Are you sure that isn't a 37 gallon? It looks kind of tall for a 29 gallon. The 37 is 22 inches tall and the 29 is 18 inches tall. 

I love the Fin Inn!

• Like 1

Yes! I was heavily debating between the two. I went back and forth comparing the size on the box because I didn't understand how they could be the same length and width. It's truly just taller, the 37. Which wasn't worth it to me.

It's so cheesy but the critters love it and it makes me laugh!

Nice tank.

So, I was just casually measuring the picture of your tank on my screen.  My screen showed a 5.75 x 7.75 ratio (height x length), or around 0.74.  A 37 gallon tank would be 22 x 30, or 0.73, whereas a 29 gallon tank would be 18 x 30 or 0.6.  Could you share your measurements for that tank? 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:29 PM, tipzythegreat said:

Of course! 30" L x 12" W and 18" tall. The 37g is 22" tall with the same dimensions

If you want to look more at them, search Petsmart Top Fin 29 gallon. It's the top fin essentials starter kit 🙂

Yup, I have the same tank!

IMG_1936.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 11:50 AM, FLFishChik said:

Yup, I have the same tank!

IMG_1936.jpeg

This one looks more like the ratio that I would expect for a 29 gallon.  Are we sure that those are the same tanks?  The first looks much taller...

I tried taking mine at the same angle as @tipzythegreat. I also have deeper substrate layer in mine so maybe that’s why it looks different?

also think it’s individual camera… mine look “wider” both tank and stand and regardless if 29g or 37g, it would be same width 

IMG_1937.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

Mine also isn't filled all the way with water. And all my stuff was quickly moved from a 14 gallon- so it's all sized smaller. 

I'll take another picture later. Gonna do some work on it first 😉

The hood is different too!

On 3/1/2024 at 4:19 PM, tipzythegreat said:

Mine also isn't filled all the way with water. And all my stuff was quickly moved from a 14 gallon- so it's all sized smaller. 

I'll take another picture later. Gonna do some work on it first 😉

The hood is different too!

I switched out my hood last year for the Topfin glass hood (fyi - even though it’s the Topfin glass lid and says 29g… it does NOT fit correctly. So if you decide to change it later, keep that in mind) and I purchased the Fluval  Aquasky 2.0 light. It’s..  meh

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

THANK YOU! I was shopping around for it last night and read some reviews that said that. Ugh! The hood it came with isn't get IMO but with plants I'm going to need a glass canopy.

I was thinking this- Glass Canopy for Aquariums with and Without Center Braces, 5 Gallon to 200 Gallon Aquariums (Tank Without Center Brace, 30" L x 12" W) https://a.co/d/3DcyQLa

It's still a work in progress BUT I got some new plants and cleaned and organized a bit. I have to say everyone barring the snails seem super happy. The mollies are swimming around like crazy - did I mention the only reason I got back into fishkeeping was my sister's Molly's unplanned pregnancy? I took all the females and she kept the singular male. 

20240301_193734.jpg

• Like 2