Which Kuhli loach species should i choose?

Setiawan

I understand that there isnt really that much of a choice, since they are mostly the same, except the silver ones, who are more reclusive. When I asked about similar question if they will band together if I get few of each, I was told no, they dont recognize each other, they are like corydoras in that aspect. So, whichever you choose (and I guess normal will be the winner, cause they are actually availble), get as many as you can fit (10?) and get just one species 🙂

On 2/27/2024 at 5:39 AM, Setiawan said:

I like Kuhliis too for my 20g

But which one should i buy?

Banded (normal)?

Black?

Doriae?

I think you will struggle to find anything other than normal and maybe the black kuhli loaches. I like the banded because in my opinion the black looks boring and I think the black can be even more shy.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:47 AM, Setiawan said:

Agree but some peoples says that Black is more hardy than Banded

I think normal Kuhli loaches are incredibly hardy. I have had mine for almost 2 years and have had absolutely zero problems.

I remember master breeder dean telling about how he had completely drained out a aquarium except for an inch because he thought he had taken out the fish, and then he forgot about it for a long time. Without any food, a Kuhli Loach managed to survive in that inch of water.

• Like 1

My advice is more from the practical side. Banded kuhlis are generally easy to find, but black are pretty rare (in my area). So if you go with black, and ever want/need to add more (a problem that most kuhli owners face), you might have difficulty (re)finding them. I'd go with banded. 

• Like 2

There’s like 12 kinds (probably more but that’s what popped up on my Pinterest feed, LOL). I have one banded (but distinct markings so maybe not the banded type everyone knows) and probably the only one I’ll find for a year in my area. I have two blacks. (Had to return a green-maybe called silver- accidentally sold as a black). I noticed the black and green swim together at night like party confetti all over the sides of my tank.  The banded just once in a while swims up and then back down to rest. Also, so far, he’s tiny but only had them all a few months. Also, at feeding time, the black ones all eat together and scare the poor banded guy off to hang by himself. Wish I could find him a buddy. And lastly, the black ones hide all day and scare away so easily. Banded one is not too shy. But all that to help you decide behavior based on color. Must be a different species or something so I’d say at least get them a buddy of the same type. And maybe that’s why they recommend 6 to make them feel safe. 

Edited by FishRBeautiful

On 2/27/2024 at 5:47 PM, Setiawan said:

Agree but some peoples says that Black is more hardy than Banded

They are almost always wildcaught. So finding a good healthy stock is the best way to start if you ask me, rather than focusing on a specific color and such

i have 6 common and 6 black. they eat and swim together for me. not seeing any difference here. There is a Master Dean story. i forget the fine details. He thought the tank was empty for 6 months or so. no food, only a couple inches of water. regular kuhli was still in there, buried like normal. perfectly happy. most kuhlis are tough as nails. 

i do like the regular one. just a shade more interesting than the black. otherwise behavior is mostly the same