Ph, GH, KH

MeggersNCat

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My tap water's PH is about 7.4 if I'm reading the colors correctly. But my aquariums are regularly reading at 8.4. Also I just purchased a GH and KH test and it's showing that my tap water is between 200-400ppm. Both tests took 14 drops to change color. Am I worrying about nothing or do I need to fix this? I should note that I have a betta in a 2.5 and set up a 10 gallon to move my betta to.

Edited by MeggersNCat

I just posted a thread touching on similar issue.

Mine was due to (or at least the most logical explanation) using Seiryu Stone as part of hardscape, which is a leaching rock that can greatly increase pH.

I have exact water as yours from tap, and my tank pH refused to drop below 8.

I assume the gravel is aquarium safe? If you’re not sure, you can take a scoop of (clean/new) gravel and put it in a cup of tap water. Test the pH, wait a few days, then test the pH again. 

Also how long have your aquariums been set up? One sounds new, but is the 2.5 fairly established?

This is definitely an interesting problem. I love aquarium chemistry. (:

Let the tap water sit in a glass for a day or two to completely off gas then retest. Usually, the pH is going to be lower fresh from the tap than it is if you let it release whatever co2 and other gasses it could be holding.

My tap's pH is 7.0 fresh from the tap, but 8.2 when it's allowed to off gas with a dKH of over 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

I assume the gravel is aquarium safe? If you’re not sure, you can take a scoop of (clean/new) gravel and put it in a cup of tap water. Test the pH, wait a few days, then test the pH again. 

Also how long have your aquariums been set up? One sounds new, but is the 2.5 fairly established?

This is definitely an interesting problem. I love aquarium chemistry. 🙂

I’ve had the 2.5 for maybe 5months? The 10gal for a week. The gravel is for aquariums, the package says it’s polymer coated and inert. So it’s not supposed to change water chemistry. But I will definitely try the cup idea and some experimenting. I guess for now I’ll have to be very diligent about my water changes and testing the water. Ooh thought just came to mind! Could it be the plant food that I’m using? Could that raise PH?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, varanidguy said:

Let the tap water sit in a glass for a day or two to completely off gas then retest. Usually, the pH is going to be lower fresh from the tap than it is if you let it release whatever co2 and other gasses it could be holding.

My tap's pH is 7.0 fresh from the tap, but 8.2 when it's allowed to off gas with a dKH of over 5.

Hmmm. Very interesting. What would I need to do to Lower the ph then?

3 minutes ago, MeggersNCat said:

Hmmm. Very interesting. What would I need to do to Lower the ph then?

Chances are you don't need to. Chasing parameters can often times be a lot more detrimental than just keeping things stable, which is what fish most prefer.

However, if you're dead set on it, in your case I'd mix distilled or RO water with your tap water.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, varanidguy said:

Chances are you don't need to. Chasing parameters can often times be a lot more detrimental than just keeping things stable, which is what fish most prefer.

However, if you're dead set on it, in your case I'd mix distilled or RO water with your tap water.

That’s fine. As long as how the water is isn’t going to hurt my fish

Just now, MeggersNCat said:

That’s fine. As long as how the water is isn’t going to hurt my fish

Yeah, if it's the betta you're talking about, I wouldn't worry about lowering the pH.

Typically it's something you really only have to worry about when caring for certain shrimp species or particularly sensitive wild caught fish.

• Like 1

I agree with varanidguy. Just be sure to acclimate your new fish to your water very slowly. Sudden changes can shock their systems.

If you do want to lower the pH a bit, one way would be adding driftwood or catalpa leaves to your tank. It will leach tannins which will make your water darker, but also lower the pH in a fairly slow/stable manner. It may not change the pH much with such a high GH, but it should nudge it a little. And bettas like dark water, since it matches their native environment. 😊

Edited by Hobbit
Had another thought :)
  • Like 3