Can I keep extra plants in containers or buckets for grow out and for temporary holding?

I have some plants (java ferns, crypts, bucephalandra) from one of my 30 gallon aquariums that have been growing a lot and I need to start to trim. I want to keep the pieces I trim and propagate them for future use. But I don't have any space in my other tanks to keep them and I want to put the plants somewhere where they can grow out. I don't have any extra empty tanks, but I do have some clear tubs and containers and even a couple of 5 gallon buckets. I was wondering if it is possible to put plants in a container or a 5 gallon bucket, with appropriate lighting of course, but without a filter? I have some experience with aquarium plants, and I have been successful growing the plants in my current tanks. How should I go about doing something like this? Thanks for reading!

On 2/24/2024 at 10:03 PM, lefty o said:

plants dont need a filter, they are a filter. keep them wet, give them some light, and some fertilizer. in a bucket or tub is fine.

Oh duh! I knew that, why didn't I think about that haha. That's why I keep plants in my tanks, because they're good filters. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks!

On 2/24/2024 at 10:21 PM, Tony s said:

I might throw an airstone in there if you have a spare. It’ll bring in carbon dioxide and keep the water from stagnating 

@Tony s I just so happen to have an extra air stone lying around. I'll be sure to add that when I'm setting it up. Thanks!

Do you think I need a small heater as well, or will a 70 degree room temp be just fine?

On 2/24/2024 at 10:55 PM, Tony s said:

Shouldn’t. But maybe? I’d check on the temperature range of some of your plants. And it als depends on how long they’re going to be there 

@Tony s It'll be java ferns and some buce and maybe some little crypts. I likely won't keep them there for long, but I'll be sure to take the proper precautions to ensure the temperature isn't cool for them.

• Like 1

Shouldn’t. But maybe? I’d check on the temperature range of some of your plants. And it als depends on how long they’re going to be there 

actually rethinking this. If The goal is grow out. You’ll want to keep them at optimal temperatures with the air stone. Possibly a light as well. Unless they’re low light plants. 

if the goal is mostly storage, and air stone and room temperature is probably fine.

• Like 1