Help with Spotted Congo feeding

Kenaqua

I currently have a 3in Spotted Congo Puffer that isn't willing to eat any bloodworms. It will definitely go after any snails I put in the tank which is good but my Ramshorn population isn't able to keep up. I think possibly part of the problem is the store I purchased from was feeding using minnows which I don't. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my puffer to readily accept bloodworms? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:42 AM, Kenaqua said:

I currently have a 3in Spotted Congo Puffer that isn't willing to eat any bloodworms. It will definitely go after any snails I put in the tank which is good but my Ramshorn population isn't able to keep up. I think possibly part of the problem is the store I purchased from was feeding using minnows which I don't. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my puffer to readily accept bloodworms? Thanks!

@Kenaqua I suggest offering raw shrimp. The puffer is probably waiting to be fed the snails. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Colu@Kenaqua In that situation I put the snails in bloodworm "juice" for a few minutes then feed my puffer the snails with a little bloodworms until I get my puffer to recognize the bloodworms as food and eat them. 

In my setups I use vitachem and a drop of garlic guard in a container and soak all the foods I feed my puffers before they go into the tank.

Even the snails and earthworms get that before they go into the puffer tank. My opinion is the puffers associate the "scent" to food and are more willing to accept other food if it has the same scent/taste from the vitamin and garlic. I would expect the bloodworm trick would also work to get one of my puffers to accept bloodworms as food. 

Mine get snails and worms primarily but i have also fed bloodworms, frozen krill, frozen mysis shrimp, and the tilapia in this gif. 20240225_084215_1.gif.796a45b2e122219c0225ddf77bc41e04.gif

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2