Gourami Hiding

bm3aquatic

I've had a female 3 spot gourami for 2 yrs. About 2 months ago her friend/enemy male dwarf gourami died (she chased the dwarf gourami sometimes). Ever since she has been hiding.

Zooms away when I come near the tank. She was a voracious eater and never timid. She is in with mellow fish, harlequins, tetras, stiphodons.

After I leave the tank she comes out to eat but all food is gone. I started sinking food which she eats. What's going on?

I have had gourami's since I was a kid.

IMG_20200324_150311_964.jpg

I am sure you have all the same theories as I would....Maybe another lady spot gourami or two or three would cheer her up? Or dwarf gourami s....or sparkling... maybe she doesn't care about the mellow fish and wants something a little more fiesty or annoying to interact with. No fun chasing sheep...

And from your experience, how long might she live?

And any clues as to why other gourami died?

I am glad you figured out something she can feed on once you've walked away from the tank. Maybe make sure the room lights are off to reduce your shadow so she can readjust? Nothing's changed in the room as far as lighting? Nothing else changed in the tank?

I hope she calms down and begins to come out more

• Administrators

Usually this is related to something like lighting, a ceiling room light on, you create a big shadow, and without the extra fish to show it's safe, it's easier to hide and then come out when the shadow is gone. This can happen from having summertime windows and such open or a TV etc.

I've heard this many times on other forums and the verdict is usually that they don't have enough conspecifics. Get her a male and a couple of females. I know a couple of people that really know alot about gouramis and they always suggest three spots should be housed in groups or they can get aggressive or shy. 

Gouramis are social so I always reccomend getting a group of them.

7 hours ago, Wmarian said:

I am sure you have all the same theories as I would....Maybe another lady spot gourami or two or three would cheer her up? Or dwarf gourami s....or sparkling..

I have to respectfully disagree. Dwarf gourami males are fairly aggressive to other gouramis and conspecifics, and sparkling gouramis are way too shy to keep up with a three spot. Even dwarf gourami females can get aggressive.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful input. I had another male gourami early on, got them at the same time. As they grew older the female harassed the male then later they fought severely. I had to get rid of the male. She picked on the dwarf relentlessly and I found it dead wedged between a rock. I have had lots of gourami's over my lifetime and it seems that some just end up with more aggressive personalities.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:24 AM, Cory said:

Usually this is related to something like lighting, a ceiling room light on, you create a big shadow, and without the extra fish to show it's safe, it's easier to hide and then come out when the shadow is gone. This can happen from having summertime windows and such open or a TV etc.

Now that I think about it I went from a hood lights to a glass top with new lights around the same time. 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, Wmarian said:

I am sure you have all the same theories as I would....Maybe another lady spot gourami or two or three would cheer her up? Or dwarf gourami s....or sparkling... maybe she doesn't care about the mellow fish and wants something a little more fiesty or annoying to interact with. No fun chasing sheep...

And from your experience, how long might she live?

And any clues as to why other gourami died?

I am glad you figured out something she can feed on once you've walked away from the tank. Maybe make sure the room lights are off to reduce your shadow so she can readjust? Nothing's changed in the room as far as lighting? Nothing else changed in the tank?

I hope she calms down and begins to come out more

They usually live 3-5 yrs. It seems at least in my experience that the 3 spot are more aggressive. The dwarf got lodged between a rock. I did get a glass top and new lights about that time. Thank you for the input.

• Like 1