Odd growth on plants

Lonkley

I've noticed that there are fungil like growth on my plants lately. Should I be concerned? So far it seems limited to stem plants towards the surface so I could just remove. Are there any other treatments? Let the fish go hungry for a week to see if they'll deal with it?

PXL_20240222_045238760.jpg

I don't think they are alive in that sense. I've watched over several days and don't think they are moving. Also haven't added anything in months.

Also wouldn't a tank full of guppies eat them?

Edited by Lonkley

On 2/22/2024 at 3:46 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Agreed that I don’t believe they are Hydra, but more likely algae. Entirely possible that it’s the start of Black Beard Algae. You can spot treat with Hydrogen Peroxide. 

Honestly it's just at the top on stem plants. I can just cut it in half and still have a foot and it'll take a month to replace. It's just a really pretty red at that depth, below it's green.

Ill cut back on light too I guess.

Looks like stag horn algae. What color is it? It’s usually caused by unstable co2 levels, ammonia spike or other tank instabilities that can stress out the plants.

I usually spray it with hydrogen peroxide during a water change. You can also do spot treatment if you don’t wanna do a water change. Just make sure to have the filters off for a few minutes. Once the algae turns pink that means it’s dead.

If you’re planning to remove them manually, take out the whole leaf instead of pulling the algae from the leaf so it doesn’t spread.