Please Help hundreds of micro organisms crawling on aquarium glass

aquaman87

Hello, like the title says I need help identifying  hundreds of tiny thin hair like organisms crawling against my aquarium glass. I don't know what they are and am a little worried they are harmful. I have 9 red cherry shrimp in a heavily planted fluval flex 15 gallon tank. Getting a proper picture of what they look like is difficult as they are ever so tiny. Thanks in advance ! 

20240222_100407.jpg

20240222_100347.jpg

20240222_100421.jpg

20240222_100331.jpg

Edited by aquaman87

I cannot see them clearly but most likely detritus worms.  In a tank with shrimp but no fish you will have tons of microfauna show up.  
Not harmful and I harvest mine from shrimp and snail tanks to feed the fish.  

A good substrate vacuum and cutting back on feeding a bit should keep the numbers reasonable. 

• Thanks 1

You most likely have nothing to worry about. They are likely seed shrimp, detritus worms, and small microcrustations. In shrimp tanks, where there are no fish, there are no predators for these small organisms, so they co-exist. Many shrimp keepers consider this a sign of good water quality. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 5:00 PM, ccurtis said:

You most likely have nothing to worry about. They are likely seed shrimp, detritus worms, and small microcrustations. In shrimp tanks, where there are no fish, there are no predators for these small organisms, so they co-exist. Many shrimp keepers consider this a sign of good water quality. 

That's good to know because the scuds in my shrimp tank are driving me nuts. I keep wanting to throw a guppy in there to clean them up, but I'm trying to establish a colony of neos. Maybe after I have a hundred or so..

On 2/22/2024 at 10:03 PM, Lonkley said:

That's good to know because the scuds in my shrimp tank are driving me nuts. I keep wanting to throw a guppy in there to clean them up, but I'm trying to establish a colony of neos. Maybe after I have a hundred or so..

Also possibly copepod Cyclops.