Fin rot

FishQween

So, I had a recent outbreak of ich in all my tanks. I'm treating for that now (it's day 4 of treatment) and I also have two fish who are suffering from fin rot. I'm pretty sure I can't treat two things at once, so I'm gonna go through with the ich treatment first. I just wanna know what to do when I finish the ich treatment so I can save my goldfish before their fins rot completely off.

The goldfish who has black tipped fins was fine yesterday, and I've noticed that large chunks of his fins are falling off. Will he make it until I finish the two week ich treatment?

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:21 PM, Tony s said:

Quick questions. are you testing your water. what are the readings. how old is your tank. and how long have your fish been in. 

I actually haven't tested the water lately. When my fish got ich I did a 25% water change and then started medication. 

The tank is about 5 months old. Most of the fish have been there for 4 months, except for the one with black tipped fins. He's been there all of two weeks.

• Like 1

Seachem says you can feed kanaplex and use cupramine together.

1 scoop kanaplex

1 scoop focus 

1 tablespoons food pellets a few drops of water to help mix. 
add garlic guard to increase, flavor.

feed as the sole food for 1 week. 

this should clear both problems. But, again, follow their instructions very precisely, for best results.

and, btw your fish look beautiful.

• Like 2

Another thing I would do, get an extra airstone going. Lots of meds will deplete the available oxygen. And don’t use any kind of water treatment. Prime and the like. It will turn the cupramine more toxic 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 2:57 AM, Tony s said:

Seachem says you can feed kanaplex and use cupramine together.

1 scoop kanaplex

1 scoop focus 

1 tablespoons food pellets a few drops of water to help mix. 
add garlic guard to increase, flavor.

feed as the sole food for 1 week. 

this should clear both problems. But, again, follow their instructions very precisely, for best results.

and, btw your fish look beautiful.

I wouldn't recommend using kanaplex in food very little of medication is adsorbed by the intestinal tract so not much of the medication makes it into the blood stream your better of dosing the tank if your using kanaplex 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

On 2/15/2024 at 9:19 AM, Colu said:

I wouldn't use kanaplex in food very little of medication is adsorbed by the intestinal tract

Yeah, I agree, but that was a recommended treatment from Seachem. They have a chart on using dual meds with cupramine. What’s safe and what’s not. They actually don’t recommend anything with cupramine. But if they’re having multiple problems, that should be good via the manufacturer. 

the recipe is copied directly from Seachem 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:25 AM, Tony s said:

I wouldn't use kanaplex in food very little of medication is adsorbed by the intestinal tract

Okay, reading farther this time, sulfaplex and neoplasm can also be used with cupramine. Have no experience with either. And using the kanaplex clears the internal infection. Which, of course she doesn’t have. So what do you use for external. She’s got 14 days of no water changes. No prime. No oxidizers of any kind. And, unfortunately, doesn’t know the parameters going into treatment. 

Follow

FAQ: Can I use the Seachem® medications together?

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:52 AM, Colu said:

I would us maracyn2 or kanaplex and dose the tank to treat fin rot if am using other medications such as cupramine I would do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days @Tony s

1000000026.png

Yeah, that was my first thought. But had no idea if m2 was safe with the cupramine. Apparently a lot of meds are not. And, of course, Seachem doesn’t recommend any other brands meds. But if you think it’s safe, I’ll absolutely buy that. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:06 PM, Tony s said:

And I keep reading. Apparently seachem’s polyguard and paraguard will treat both problems simultaneously.

Cupramine is a copper based medication using some medication with copper can alter the bond making them toxic if using antibiotics in food that's less likely to happen Polyguard has multiple active ingredient it can treat bacterial fungal and some external parasite's I wouldn't use for fin rot it's a more harsh medication maracyn2 or kanaplex would be a better choice paraguard say it treats fin rot but looking at the active ingredient i don't think it would be very  effective 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:39 PM, Colu said:

Cupramine is a copper based medication using some medication with copper can alter the bond making them toxic if using antibiotics in food that's less likely to happen Polyguard has multiple active ingredient it can treat bacterial fungal and some external parasite's I wouldn't use for fin rot it's a more harsh medication maracyn2 or kanaplex would be a better choice paraguard say it treats fin rot but looking at the active ingredient i don't think it would be very  effective 

Thank you so much @Coluand @Tony s!! Unfortunately the fish with fin rot died just this morning 😖 but if I see any signs of fin rot on the others, I will use this method. Also, another question, I have this female platy that gave birth to 2 fry (which she ate before I could get out of the tank she's in) and she won't drop any more even though she's been pregnant for over a month. Do y'all have any idea why? Is there something I should do?

• Sad 2

Sometimes platys can hold off birthing new fry if they don't like the water conditions. Mine stopped for a bit while I got the water in order. I use hornwort to help me keep their tank nitrates under control. It also gives the fry a place to hide out and not be snacks