Orange species Nano tank project! Help needed!

Hello everyone, new here and I'd like some advice, I was recommended this site by my friend Kaiju (who I think left the forum bc he didn't need it anymore?) but I'm starting a 6.5 LONG gallon tank sometime this year housing 10 Orange Ricefish and 10 Orange Rili Shrimp. I can list plants and hardscape if wanted or if needed but I don't think I need much help with that. I plan to order from two sites Bucplant and Aquarium Co-op. I'm looking for help from people who have kept these species or have many nano tanks and good experience with them. Iv'e done the research and stuff and I think I'm prepared, I've also planned to order a plethora or aquascaping tools, fertilizers, water conditioners, and glass cleansers. I worry about overcrowding of fish, but I've heard people don't need to worry about that as much with smaller fish. Please let me know if you need clarification on everything. And thank you to advance from everyone who responds! 

Order list:

- 1 golfball of flame moss, Java fern, Mini Amazon Swords

-10 ricefish and 10 Orange Rili

-Various meds and water conditioners and algae control/fertilizers

-Various Hardscape

On 2/10/2024 at 12:04 PM, EnvyDontKnow said:

Hello everyone, new here and I'd like some advice, I was recommended this site by my friend Kaiju (who I think left the forum bc he didn't need it anymore?) but I'm starting a 6.5 LONG gallon tank sometime this year housing 10 Orange Ricefish and 10 Orange Rili Shrimp. I can list plants and hardscape if wanted or if needed but I don't think I need much help with that. I plan to order from two sites Bucplant and Aquarium Co-op. I'm looking for help from people who have kept these species or have many nano tanks and good experience with them. Iv'e done the research and stuff and I think I'm prepared, I've also planned to order a plethora or aquascaping tools, fertilizers, water conditioners, and glass cleansers. I worry about overcrowding of fish, but I've heard people don't need to worry about that as much with smaller fish. Please let me know if you need clarification on everything. And thank you to advance from everyone who responds! 

Order list:

- 1 golfball of flame moss, Java fern, Mini Amazon Swords

-10 ricefish and 10 Orange Rili

-Various meds and water conditioners and algae control/fertilizers

-Various Hardscape

I don't have any experience with rice fish or the shrimp but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Java fern varieties “Fishtail” and “Sunrise” can both develop orange tips to their fronds under certain conditions.  You might want to look into those to reinforce your orange theme.  They would still be a good contrast for your orange fish since most of the leaf is green.

I am a little bit concerned about having that many rice fish in such a small tank.  They might be a bit borderline on bioload for that many, especially early on while the biofiltration is still developing.  You might need to add them a few at a time until you get to a good group.  Do you have a tank that you would be using for quarantine?  If your quarantine tank is bigger you could potentially get them all at the same time and then add them over a couple weeks instead of over months while each new, small group undergoes quarantine.

If you decide to go with a different species, consider ember tetras.  They’re a little bit smaller than the ricefish and are a nice bright to deep orange.  Not as soft a color as the rice fish, but would work well in an orange themed tank.

@Odd Duck, thanks for your helpful advice. I have no quarantine tank but I soon plan to get one along with that tank! I researched and Iv'e seen that some people have had success with this species even if slightly overstocked. Any other advice will be great too as you've been the only one that has given the most helpful advice! Thanks again! (I will definitly check that species of Java Fern!)