Geophagus Tapajos eggs!!

govsfabshop

Here i was all excited my Vals in the 125 were starting to shoot out and grow, then saw this! Picked up 10 geo tapajos at the LFS on black friday, lost 3 to ick when i moved from qt to the big tank, they cured up and have been starting to get real good coloring and size on em. Came down this morning to see the first batch of eggs! Was pretty shocked being they are still young and according to the LFS "he didn't know of anyone thats spawned these out here". Even though my father in law has in the past. 

So being their first batch of eggs gonna leave this bunch and see what happens, i've got a german breeding ring ready if some do hatch and make it since i have kind of given up on getting the coreys to breed. Excited to see what happens here, i think the bristlenose and coreys in that tank are to small to take a shot at the eggs, but there are 5 other geos and a severum pair in there as well. 

Just thought i'd share being these are my first eggs, besides the snails!

geoeggs.jpg

geos.jpg

geo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/10/2024 at 10:30 AM, govsfabshop said:

Here i was all excited my Vals in the 125 were starting to shoot out and grow, then saw this! Picked up 10 geo tapajos at the LFS on black friday, lost 3 to ick when i moved from qt to the big tank, they cured up and have been starting to get real good coloring and size on em. Came down this morning to see the first batch of eggs! Was pretty shocked being they are still young and according to the LFS "he didn't know of anyone thats spawned these out here". Even though my father in law has in the past. 

So being their first batch of eggs gonna leave this bunch and see what happens, i've got a german breeding ring ready if some do hatch and make it since i have kind of given up on getting the coreys to breed. Excited to see what happens here, i think the bristlenose and coreys in that tank are to small to take a shot at the eggs, but there are 5 other geos and a severum pair in there as well. 

Just thought i'd share being these are my first eggs, besides the snails!

geoeggs.jpg

geos.jpg

geo.jpg

@govsfabshop Congrats on the first Geophagus Redhead Tapajos spawn.

Well pretty sure they ate that bunch of eggs, i've got hope that they might have taken into their mouths but atleast one has been eating, man did that pair get aggressive though! Came home yesterday to find eggs on another piece of slate from a different pair at the other end of the tank. That female is smaller and far fewer eggs, but they seem to be much more relaxed in protecting them. 

And i do stand corrected on the my father in law bred them, he has bred geo's but not the redhead's, i suppose the next batch i'll get into the breeder ring and see if some success happens, I have 2 more that are starting to show pairing activity, so for now appears 3 pairs and 1 single male. 

• Like 2