Anyone tried expel f?

Markp2483

On 2/7/2024 at 9:13 PM, Markp2483 said:

Anyone tried expel f for fungus/fin rot? Looks to be new

The active ingredient fluconazole is an antifungal treatment I have never used so I couldn't say how effective it would be 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:05 PM, Bigdog99 said:

No, what technically is it? Like what brand? Never heard of it… definitely interested. @Markp2483

It’s a fritz product, like expel p but for fungus instead of parasites. The main ingredient is fluconazole. Which is an anti fungal that they prescribe to people and animals 

I’ve never used it and it says it’s new on the fritz website. Just wondering if it’s worth trying and if anyone has any experience with it

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 2:59 AM, Markp2483 said:

It’s a fritz product, like expel p but for fungus instead of parasites. The main ingredient is fluconazole. Which is an anti fungal that they prescribe to people and animals 

I’ve never used it and it says it’s new on the fritz website. Just wondering if it’s worth trying and if anyone has any experience with it

@Odd Duckmight have some more information about fluconazole effectiveness at treating fungal infections in fish 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:59 PM, Markp2483 said:

Oh ok gotcha. Thanks. Yeah never have used it. 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, Colu said:

@Odd Duckmight have some more information about fluconazole effectiveness at treating fungal infections in fish 

Ya @Odd Duck is super helpful!

On 2/7/2024 at 9:21 PM, Colu said:

I don’t have any dosage information for fish in my formulary but I suspect that may be because fluconazole is only slightly soluble in water.  I’m not sure what else is in the packets because the packets are 1 gram each (1000 mg) and contain only 200 mg of fluconazole.  So the other 800 mgs in each packet may be something that makes the fluconazole more soluble plus likely some kind of anti clumping / flow agent(s) to make the powder come out of the packet better.

Fluconazole is a decent antifungal drug.  I’m just not sure how effective it would be mixed into water.  It should be stable enough if you can get it to mix, but is that going to actually get into the fish?  I don’t know.  If it will dissolve into the water it should treat topical fungal infections fairly well.  I would black out the tank while using.  The only study I found that looked into the stability of the drug was storing it in the dark but they found it to be stable during storage for whatever that’s worth for treatment.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Thanks 2