Hi from Vermont, and looking for Fish tank ideas + NANF :)

Hey all, been on some FB groups, and don't care for Facebook so trying to get into an online fish forum that isn't Reddit.

Currently have 3 tanks:
- 55G Tang. tank with Multis + Cyprichromis Leptosoma
- 20G tank with 1x naughty male angel fish and swordtails
- 55G Panda cories, otos, rubberlip pleco, and 1x female angelfish

Looking to setup a few more tank and here's where I need feedback/ideas:
- West African River tank - Ropefish + Congo Tetras for a 55G tank (too big? small?) with powerhead for the river effect

North American species fish are so hard to find... any help would be great on this one.  🙂 
- North American species river tank - Dace's or shiners + a darter or bullheadchubs (55G or 75G with power head)

• Love 1

There are sometimes listings on aquabid for NA natives, and if I’m remembering right Jonah’s Aquarium is a recommended source for NA natives. I don’t know what the laws are in Vermont but you may be able to collect from the wild there. Here in Tennessee we’re not allowed to keep native non game fish though so check your local regulations. There are a number of people who keep NA natives here on the forum who may chime in too. 

Oh also it may be worth looking into your local NANFA chapter and seeing what’s going on around you. If nothing else the NANFA guys can get you on the right track with NA natives. 

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

For NANF you should watch for topics from @Fish Folk since he does a fair bit with them and has more than one species of NANF topics.  You can also do a search on the forum for NANF if you haven’t already.  You can search the forum in general and sub forums.  There are several others doing NANF (too many to list) but checking out @Fish Folk’s topics will get you to them, too.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 1:24 PM, VermontBlogger said:

Hey all, been on some FB groups, and don't care for Facebook so trying to get into an online fish forum that isn't Reddit.

Currently have 3 tanks:

- West African River tank - Ropefish + Congo Tetras for a 55G tank (too big? small?) with powerhead for the river effect

North American species fish are so hard to find... any help would be great on this one.  🙂 
- North American species river tank - Dace's or shiners + a darter or bullheadchubs (55G or 75G with power head)

You can order NANF suitable for home aquarium through:

http://www.jonahsaquarium.com

It’s an old, old website… but the fish are very good.

You do need to check your State laws about what species are allowed. I’m guessing VT is reasonable… but I’m not familiar enough with it to say for sure.

I recommend:

Rainbow Shiners (Notropis chrosomus)

Southern Redbelly Dace (Chrosomus erythrogaster)

Rainbow Darters (Etheostoma caeruleum)

Orange-throat Darters (Etheostoma spectabile)

Banded Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus)

Bluefin Killifish (Lucania goodei)

Fireyblack Shiners (Cyprinella pyrrhomelas)

Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma gilberti)

I’ve kept a few other species too, and can share my experiences if you like.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 2/2/2024 at 1:24 PM, VermontBlogger said:

Currently have 3 tanks:

Hello! This forum is THE BEST FORUM ON EARTH! You will like this! Off the topic about tank ideas but welcome!!! @VermontBlogger