Old Glow Light Tetras!

It seems like I may have had these glow light tetras close to 10 years...What started as a school of 15 has dwindled to 3 remaining!

They are still active, social and eating well. Talk about a hardy, resilient tetra! One tetra has developed  a severe bent spine, just like some old men do! anyone else have a similar  experience with certain fish which live quite long?

old fishes2.jpg

old fish1.jpg

• Like 2

Glowlight Tetras are rad! They’re some of the first fish I ever had when I started in the hobby about 4 years ago. They were my “canaries in the well” for my first “big” tank I set up. Just a 29 gallon, and they were the first fish in after the tank cycled. I started with a group of 12, and now I’m down to four or five. Mine definitely haven’t lasted the almost 10 years yours have, but these guys have been through a lot with me. From the first “big” tank, to the first c02 I ever tried, to the current Blackwater tank it is now, they’ve taught me a lot. 

One of mine has a bent spine, too, unfortunately. Not as severe as yours, but definitely bent.

IMG_6216.jpeg.27a082de26d0a9e909fee4c21ed866bf.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 10:42 PM, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

It seems like I may have had these glow light tetras close to 10 years...What started as a school of 15 has dwindled to 3 remaining!

They are still active, social and eating well. Talk about a hardy, resilient tetra! One tetra has developed  a severe bent spine, just like some old men do! anyone else have a similar  experience with certain fish which live quite long?

old fishes2.jpg

old fish1.jpg

@Ohio FishPlant Dude I think you should commend yourself. Ten years for a small tetra is rare. Great job giving that long life.

• Like 1

AllFishNoBrakes, Yes...the 'severely-hump-backed' fish pictured does swim vertically!  I though he was dying and removed him from my display tank and placed him in my quarantine tank. To my surprise, he is eating well, chasing around some black phantom tetras and having a good time! He just needed some TLC because of his condition and age.

Thank you Lindsey and Dallas for the kind words...I remember the moment I purchased my glow lights in the 90's...I was complaining to a LFS owner about my attempt to keep cardinal tetras and he suggested glow lights. And they were the cheapest priced fish in his shop! 

I saw some albino glow lights the other day that looked nice....I may have to purchase another young school of glow lights and start again!

Edited by Ohio FishPlant Dude
  • Like 3

On 1/31/2024 at 10:42 PM, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

old fishes2.jpg

old fish1.jpg

Wow. Those are super old. I am going to say u knew what u were doing and kept em well! Nice job! 🎉

• Like 1