Cheap Options for Canister Filters?

TheDojoMojo

I am looking for a smaller canister filter to go along with my FX6 on a 125 gal that is not crazy expensive, has customizable media, has pretty good flow for surface agitation. It doesn't need to be that large, as I don't need too much more filtration. What do you guys think?

+1 on the cascade for cheap. I have only had mine about a month, but seems to do the job. Chewy has them cheaper than Amazon at the moment.

super quiet. the suction cups that hold the (optional) spray bar in place are a little whimpy, but otherwise great

Edited by Brandy

On 7/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, Stormtracker said:

For the money I don’t think you can beat the cascade canisters. I have 2. 

On 7/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, Brandy said:

+1 on the cascade for cheap. I have only had mine about a month, but seems to do the job. Chewy has them cheaper than Amazon at the moment.

super quiet. the suction cups that hold the (optional) spray bar in place are a little whimpy, but otherwise great

On 7/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, Edward Steven said:

I also run the Cascades, the 1000 is like 70 bucks online right now. Good flow, 3 trays, decent size. I have 3 ranging from 7 years old to 1 year old. Never had any problems, just ordered a 1500 today for a new project. 

Hmmmm. Thanks guys. The Cascade really does seem to fit my idea here, especially for the price. When looking into it however, I ran into a problem. The treys have a hole in them where the tube would go through, which isn't really a problem at all... as long as you buy their filter media. I'm someone who needs to be able to customize my filter media: the sponges, fine pads, bio media, carbon pads, the whole deal. So the fact that the pads and sponges need to be exactly fit with the perfect circle-cutout in the middle makes me wonder if I will be able to customize it. I'm wondering what your experience is, and if you customize your cascade filters at all. Does it seem like I would be able to cut the perfect circle out for my media easily enough? Because I typically change the pads frequently and will likely need to cut new ones each month or so. What are your thought?

1 hour ago, TheDojoMojo said:

Hmmmm. Thanks guys. The Cascade really does seem to fit my idea here, especially for the price. When looking into it however, I ran into a problem. The treys have a hole in them where the tube would go through, which isn't really a problem at all... as long as you buy their filter media. I'm someone who needs to be able to customize my filter media: the sponges, fine pads, bio media, carbon pads, the whole deal. So the fact that the pads and sponges need to be exactly fit with the perfect circle-cutout in the middle makes me wonder if I will be able to customize it. I'm wondering what your experience is, and if you customize your cascade filters at all. Does it seem like I would be able to cut the perfect circle out for my media easily enough? Because I typically change the pads frequently and will likely need to cut new ones each month or so. What are your thought?

So, I just used their first pad to cut myself a perfect cardboard template, and will cut all my future filter floss. Then I used some biorings, purigen, their coarse sponge that came with, and their floss. I reserved the carbon filter bag for a future use, as I don't want carbon unless I am pulling meds from the water on purpose. It doesn't seem impossible to cut your own if you make a template first, but it might depend on how perfectly you feel you need the hole to match and how hard your media is to cut. I think you could cut an x or a square and then just stuff some floss scraps around there if you are not feeling crafty.

There isn't an actual tube--it is just a part of the filter basket. So it doesn't have to thread thru after it is stacked.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1

After using what comes with it, I have cut filter floss or sponges off bigger sheets or rolls. Make the hole somewhat close and a little small and it goes around just as well as the replacement ones.

The bottom tray I use their coarse sponge and my cut filter floss, each tray above just have floss and various bio media.  So since the coarse sponge is reusable, you'll just be cutting floss.

If that's your deal breaker, I can't think of one that might work for you. 

• Like 1