Aqueon 14g Cube Lighting

Hello everyone!

I'm currently setting up a 14g Frameless cube (15.125" x 15.125" x 15.125") and wanted to get your opinion on lighting options. 

I plan to grow val, sag, crypts and maybe dabble in stem plants. Overall, want to have this tank densely planted.

In terms of coverage, would the 12in aquarium co-op light be suitable? or should I look into getting a fluval nano?

Thank you!😅

I've got a Finnex Stingray 2 (12 in) on mine and I'm pretty happy with it. I kind of wish I'd gotten the 16 in retrospect, but not enough to buy another one because I'm planning on upscaling my tank anyway.

This is how the amount of light it provides looks. I think it's considered moderate light at this depth. Dwarf chains are doing amazing. So is the Pogostemon. The crypt in front is doing great too. I've struggled with some of the bigger leaf stem plants but all the smaller leaf ones seem okay (this might be a water problem rather than a light problem as I have very hard, slightly acidic water).

PXL_20240201_013900666.jpg

On 2/1/2024 at 1:12 AM, Dria said:

I've got a Finnex Stingray 2 (12 in) on mine and I'm pretty happy with it. I kind of wish I'd gotten the 16 in retrospect, but not enough to buy another one because I'm planning on upscaling my tank anyway.

I see! Your tank looks great, thanks for the help! I'll be looking into the finnex and save myself some money. 

Do you just have CPD's in there? looks like a perfect shrimp breeding ground.

I have shrimp too! They are just hard to see in the wide tank shots and they also like hanging in the back half of the tank because it's a little dimmer back there because of the floating plants.

Some close ups:

PXL_20240128_005831488.jpg

PXL_20240128_005822971.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:34 AM, maspohno said:

I see! Your tank looks great, thanks for the help! I'll be looking into the finnex and save myself some money. 

Do you just have CPD's in there? looks like a perfect shrimp breeding ground.

For sure the Stingray is not as adjustable as some of the fancier lights, but mostly from my reading/watching people just turn the fancy lights waaaaay down anyway? So I figured I'd try the more reasonably-priced-but-still-good option. Make sure you get the Stingray 2 and not the original one because it's considerably brighter than the first iteration. I have mine on a wireless outlet timer with a 7 hour photoperiod and have only had a few very limited outbreaks of hair algae that I treated with a few doses of liquid carbon. Now that the floating plants are growing well I haven't even seen that. I do dose with Easy Green twice a week, but that's it.

Edited by Dria