Best plants for 5 gallon?

Rotala ammania bonsai (other roatala have small leaves too but the bonsai is the smallest of all the species I kept) , pearlweed, DHG, montecarlo, AR mini, Mayaca Fluviatilis, micro sword, crypt parva, hydrocotyle tripartita mini, ludwigia arcuata

Not sure what your setup is but these are some of the plants I kept that stay small or have small leaves

• Like 3

the obvious one for shrimp is java moss.  can be attached to anything. will take the form of what it's attached to. moss caves, moss bridges, moss trees. has a tendency to grow algae. shrimp love algae. java fern as well, a bit of height would be good. anubias nana petite for rounded leaf. all of these work well in kit lighting and are water column feeders. so, no root tabs

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

There is no best but any of the mosses or stuff like pearl weed or hornworth. For the bottom green greco (crypt); some small anubia; crypt wenditti brown; ... crypt wenditti tropica... lots of options - 1000s.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 7:44 PM, knee said:

Rotala ammania bonsai (other roatala have small leaves too but the bonsai is the smallest of all the species I kept) , pearlweed, DHG, montecarlo, AR mini, Mayaca Fluviatilis, micro sword, crypt parva, hydrocotyle tripartita mini, ludwigia arcuata

Not sure what your setup is but these are some of the plants I kept that stay small or have small leaves

Yes I have looked at micro sword before,never heard of crypt Parva…thanks I will look in to these!

On 1/30/2024 at 9:15 PM, Tony s said:

the obvious one for shrimp is java moss.  can be attached to anything. will take the form of what it's attached to. moss caves, moss bridges, moss trees. has a tendency to grow algae. shrimp love algae. java fern as well, a bit of height would be good. anubias nana petite for rounded leaf. all of these work well in kit lighting and are water column feeders. so, no root tabs

I just gotta Anubias nana for my 10 so yeah def an option! Could anyone tell me wher u could buy these? Online?

On 1/30/2024 at 11:25 PM, Scapexghost said:

Mircosword carpet looks good

On 1/31/2024 at 6:03 AM, anewbie said:

There is best but any of the mosses or stuff like pearl weed or hornworth. For the bottom green greco (crypt); some small anubia; crypt wenditti brown; ... crypt wenditti tropica... lots of options - 1000s.

I really like pearlweed in tanks of all sizes. You can let it grow tall in the background or trim it at medium height into a bush in the midground, you can trim it almost to the substrate and carpet it, or you can just let it float and form a mat. Grows quick and isn't exactly picky about light or nutrients so it's great for beginners. Spreads readily too, but is easy to control. And pretty much anything else you can get on ACO would work fine in a small tank if you keep up on trimming, except maybe the amazon sword and ammania gracilis. The latter would be fine if you have a good light.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:37 AM, Bigdog99 said:

any reccomended online plant sellers besides AC?

Since I live in the middle of nowhere I buy most of my plants online. There are a couple of specific businesses I don't think I can mention, but the other 75% of my purchases I get from small vendors/individuals on etsy. I think I can say that since the guidelines allow amazon and ebay and the same people tend to have shops on both ebay and etsy? Prices and shipping are usually pretty reasonable or free and they (usually) have better customer service than the big plant businesses (aco has the best cs imo tho). Plus most of the vendors are really nice and tend to include extra plants/species and coupons for next time 😊

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 7:59 PM, Crow said:

I really like pearlweed in tanks of all sizes. You can let it grow tall in the background or trim it at medium height into a bush in the midground, you can trim it almost to the substrate and carpet it, or you can just let it float and form a mat. Grows quick and isn't exactly picky about light or nutrients so it's great for beginners. Spreads readily too, but is easy to control. And pretty much anything else you can get on ACO would work fine in a small tank if you keep up on trimming, except maybe the amazon sword and ammania gracilis. The latter would be fine if you have a good light.

Since I live in the middle of nowhere I buy most of my plants online. There are a couple of specific businesses I don't think I can mention, but the other 75% of my purchases I get from small vendors/individuals on etsy. I think I can say that since the guidelines allow amazon and ebay and the same people tend to have shops on both ebay and etsy? Prices and shipping are usually pretty reasonable or free and they (usually) have better customer service than the big plant businesses (aco has the best cs imo tho). Plus most of the vendors are really nice and tend to include extra plants/species and coupons for next time 😊

Thanks