Do I add fertilizer to plants after adding to tank?

So, I just got today a Anubius nana from aquarium coop. Got Java fern yesterday from them too (Wendelov) and got 2 of those! My question here is, do I add easy green fertilizer right now? I am cycling a 10 gallon aquarium. It is at the final stage and I added these 3 plants in the past  2 days. My nitrates are 40 ppm. Do I add? Light might look super bright in pic and  it is but I have a light dimmer coming tomorrow from Bruce plant. Advice? Very new too this. Thanks! 🙂

2D588D7B-3011-4F73-9C89-C49B18F3A97A.jpeg

91CA31C8-416B-4224-AFEC-E1FA81A7F253.jpeg

Edited by Bigdog99

You're good for the moment. both of those plants take nitrogen from the water column, so no root tabs needed either. and nothing wrong with fake plants. Do what you think looks good. Your opinion will change over time as you gain experience. I have tanks that have fake driftwood (it doesn't break down) and fake rocks. Big cichlid guys often use fake plant because real one get eaten

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:08 PM, Tony s said:

You're good for the moment. both of those plants take nitrogen from the water column, so no root tabs needed either. and nothing wrong with fake plants. Do what you think looks good. Your opinion will change over time as you gain experience. I have tanks that have fake driftwood (it doesn't break down) and fake rocks. Big cichlid guys often use fake plant because real one get eaten

Ok thanks so much! Yes I was thinking on getting some fake wood from petsmart…btw, do you think the lights are to bright for these plants?

@Tony s, got a light dimmer, just came but one size fits and the other doesn’t!😩 do u know of any led light adapters?

On 1/30/2024 at 2:18 PM, Tony s said:

If it's a kit light, you've got what you've got. Mine are fine with kit lights. but i'd stick a cheap timer on it and only run the light 8 hours a day. pick a time when you're around so you can enjoy the scenery.

Yeah it is, ok thank again! I will get a timer and return the dimmer. I run the lights around 8 hours a day but not all the time so do you recommend any aquarium led timers or what do I get.

i use cheap timers, around 5$ (maybe 5$, can't remember) or less. that way if they need replaced it's still cheap. haven't had to yet, though. standard rotary timer with the pull tabs for the time

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

Thanks man. 👍 u got great info! I am such a beginner for plants as u prob know!😅

On 1/30/2024 at 2:26 PM, Tony s said:

i use cheap timers, around 5$ or less. that way if they need replaced it's still cheap. haven't had to yet, though. standard rotary timer with the pull tabs for the time

everybody was a beginner at some point. Mine was only couple of years ago. My daughter won a goldfish from the fair. it didn't make it the night. Next day we went and got our first tanks. No idea about cycling or anything else. Made tons of mistakes. But we screw up and learn things. but I remember very clearly the feeling of being new and panicky 

• Like 1