Easy Green help please

Good afternoon. I am new to the aquarium hobby and I am in need of help with the idea of water column fertilization of aquatic plants. I have two heavily planted (3g and 5g) tanks with many water column feeding plants. I recently began using Easy Green (used API previously). Typically the nitrates in both tanks is testing at zero.

I have the large bottle, which says to dose 1 pump (1mL) per 10 gallons per week. So am I basically only doing 1/2 of that for my 5 gallon and 1/3 of it for my 3 gallon per week?

Someone on a FB group was telling me that 1mL is equivalent to 3ppm in a 10 gallon & that would be equivalent to 9ppm per 1ml in my 3 gallon. So one or two pumps per week should be about perfect for my 3g to hold the nitrates between 20-40ppm. That dosing seemed like a lot more than what the dosing on the back of the bottle says. Help please!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 2:22 PM, Kerri said:

I have the large bottle, which says to dose 1 pump (1mL) per 10 gallons per week. So am I basically only doing 1/2 of that for my 5 gallon and 1/3 of it for my 3 gallon per week?

Correct.  There is also a "nano tank" version of easy green that uses drops instead of pumps.  You could always use the easy measure, disperse 1 pump and then split it using a pipette between the two tanks!  My nitrates stick around 20 ppm.

• Thanks 1

just keep in mind the bottle directions are a good average tank starting point. so you might need less, or you might need more. pick a dosage, and keep a good eye on the plants for 3 or 4 weeks, and adjust dosage as needed.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Correct.  There is also a "nano tank" version of easy green that uses drops instead of pumps.  You could always use the easy measure, disperse 1 pump and then split it using a pipette between the two tanks!  My nitrates stick around 20 ppm.

Thank you! I thought I had it figured out and then I started second guessing myself after receiving the conflicting information. 

• Like 1