Is diatom algae bad or not?

I dont think so. I'm not an algae expert but all of my tanks have this type of algae and all my tanks have live plants that are doing fine. I must say tho, my plecos love this algae.

Also, when I had ghost shrimp, they loved this algae as well.

Also, what kind of stand is your tank on?

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 7:14 PM, JS Fish 1324 said:

I dont think so. I'm not an algae expert but all of my tanks have this type of algae and all my tanks have live plants that are doing fine. I must say tho, my plecos love this algae.

Also, when I had ghost shrimp, they loved this algae as well.

Also, what kind of stand is your tank on?

F1ABD32B-50CB-44D5-A95D-5ADF6EF124F9.jpeg

7E557D62-6E60-4BF7-9C76-9D7A39DEF510.jpeg

Not the greatest I know 

• Like 1

Right. completely normal. Although, I did get overwhelmed with it before. Used a black sand from a big box, must have had extra silicates. it covered everything in a 1/4 inch layer. had to clean my anubias off for a month. thought they might die from shading. And had a dark glow fish tank with lots of glow fish decorations. that was a complete pain to clean and some of the decorations never returned. brown algae and blue lights do not mix 🙂 

best remedy are snails and otocinclis

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:53 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Diatoms are a normal part of every tanks beginning stages. All 14 of my tanks went through a diatom phase. It just means your tank is coming alive. 

Thanks 

On 1/27/2024 at 8:03 PM, Tony s said:

Right. completely normal. Although, I did get overwhelmed with it before. Used a black sand from a big box, must have had extra silicates. it covered everything in a 1/4 inch layer. had to clean my anubias off for a month. thought they might die from shading. And had a dark glow fish tank with lots of glow fish decorations. that was a complete pain to clean and some of the decorations never returned. brown algae and blue lights do not mix 🙂 

best remedy are snails and otocinclis

Yes planning on getting a nerite snail but do I take out my betta fish while acclimating snail? So he won’t get after it? I do NOT want to do this as I won’t no stress done to my betta…..

My betta has a Nerite in his tank. I’ve never seen him go after the snail. 

I even have Nerites in with my Pea Puffers and they’re doing great. 

I wouldn’t worry about your betta and a Nerite. Keep an eye out, obviously, but I wouldn’t stress about it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I have mystery snails In every tank, and 6 bettas in community tanks. Only had one ever go after a snail. It was in a 5 gallon. They were alone together. Bigger tank, more tank mates, I think it would have been no problem 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 8:42 PM, Tony s said:

bettas can go after antennae. only had one do it though. just have to keep an eye on him

Yeah, nerite snails have smaller antennae’s though…. Thanks I will

On 1/27/2024 at 9:48 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My betta has a Nerite in his tank. I’ve never seen him go after the snail. 

I even have Nerites in with my Pea Puffers and they’re doing great. 

I wouldn’t worry about your betta and a Nerite. Keep an eye out, obviously, but I wouldn’t stress about it. 

Thanks too!

On 1/28/2024 at 2:03 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I have mystery snails In every tank, and 6 bettas in community tanks. Only had one ever go after a snail. It was in a 5 gallon. They were alone together. Bigger tank, more tank mates, I think it would have been no problem 

Oh…..I have a 5 gallon….it still should be fine right?

@Tony s

On 1/28/2024 at 7:57 AM, Bigdog99 said:

Yeah, nerite snails have smaller antennae’s though…. Thanks I will

Thanks too!

Oh…..I have a 5 gallon….it still should be fine right?

@Tony s

Yeah. It should be great. That one betta was just a bit aggressive or curious. I put him into a tank full of platys, after a while he thought he was a platy. He’d never seen any other fish. 😀

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 8:39 AM, Tony s said:

Yeah. It should be great. That one betta was just a bit aggressive or curious. I put him into a tank full of platys, after a while he thought he was a platy. He’d never seen any other fish. 😀

Oh ok 😄