Your thoughts on the Fluval Flex tanks

On 3/28/2024 at 3:01 PM, anewbie said:

Well the perfect aquarium is the little 10 you put in the bathroom; here is mine:

nn1.jpg.996d54b2c516ce091ea057fd1f4aabc9.jpg

Wow that's really nice.  Wish my bathroom was big enough.  getting a standard 20 long...though already planning for a 40 breeder now, and scouting other spots in our apartment that I might be able to put more.  I think I may need an intervention 😛 lol

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, you can order the tanks by themselves directly from Fluval if you like the look. I happen to love it and don't seem to have the picture issue everyone else seems to. It is much cheaper to do this and then outfit the filtration & lighting to your preferred set up. I cut out the baffles in the 15 and went to a sponge filter. I don't mind the average lamp in the 15, and the one in the 32 is great. No problem growing plants for me, but I'm using low and medium light stuff only.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:48 PM, anewbie said:

The flex looks nice but for what it is - it is limited and way over priced. I rather just go with a 10; a sponge filter or two; a small quiet air pump and then put money in a quality heater and light (how much depends on your budget and what you stock). At the end of the day it is your choice of course 😉

Yeah. All in ones are definitely not for everyone. I found out the hard way with a Biocube back in the day for a reef tank. 

I've never seen that GTF episode; and I would've felt the exact same as she showed everything she had to do. Yikes.

Cool idea; but not for me. 

• Like 2

I like my fluval flex a lot and given budget limitations with my first tank, I'm glad the 15 gal flex is the one I went for...I had spec'ed out an 'ideal' rimless tank set up with good growing lights etc and it was a lot more $ to get up and running than the flex, especially as a first timer needing to build up from scratch (didn't have the tools needed to make myself a lid to prevent jumping, etc). I agree with what others have said, that the built-in filtration can be kind of limiting. I'm happy with it in terms of: it definitely is a solid filter system with a lot of capacity, and I like that it's hidden. I've added an aquarium co-op nano sponge filter to the open filter compartment (back left) as a power outage backup and to have 'seeded' with bacteria for my hospital tank. Personally, based on where I live and the grid stability while I've been here, I'm not too worried on that front though. 

The way the lid works, pretty much anything you attach that needs a power cord or airline running out has got to be in the back filter compartment. This can limit placement for things like a CO2 diffuser, which ideally you would want by the filter outflow. Seems to be working well enough for me with it in the back, and again as others have said the availability of aftermarket 3D printed or specialty parts is really nice. 

Here's my latest full tank shot! I've got a journal feed up about it with more info if anyone is interested. But now that I'm more experienced and have more supplies already at hand, I do plan to have my next tank be a more customizable cube without built-in filtration. 

IMG_2129.jpg.3f80e9e23c97803c4cb43a70ce4dc769.jpg

The other thing that takes some creative thinking is the bottom vent on the filter intake (have to think about how you're banking your substrate so it doesn't get covered, I set up a small 'retaining wall' with rocks so it's higher on the rest of the back of the tank) and the filter outflow nozzles (originally had my hardscape too close to it, very hard to adjust/clean etc) 

The lights are great though, and Fluval now includes little grate covers over the filter vents. I think the openings in covers are probably a little too big still if you've got fry or shrimp...BUT I bought a pre-filter sponge and cut off little chunks to fit into the curved gap between the vent covers and the vent, and that's working really well. 

• Love 1

I must be in the minority but my very first tank was a 15 gallon flex. As a beginner, I appreciated the department in the back and didn't find it a pain at all. I eventually did swap it out for a 20 gallon long which I have to admit I am enjoying more. I think for beginners the flex is not a bad way to go at all. 

• Love 1

Didn't mind the all in one but ended up taking it out and using a hob. Got mine free and has been moved around a few times and is still holding up. The glass is cool but loses it's appeal after a while. Since vetting it I've learned I prefer longer tanks over cube styles.

17127074432051883713669595003477.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I lucked out and was given 2 flex 9 gallons from a friend. I personally love the back compartment as it keeps everything looking neat while still providing plenty of room for filter, media, and heater. They were both used and after about 6 months the light died on my first flex so I ordered a $10 aquaneat light from Amazon and I love it! Especially for only $10. I'm pretty big into aquascaping and growing as many plants as possible, then adding fish that appreciate the hiding places and several species have spawned with their fry safely growing in the dwarf hair grass carpet. I'll add a couple pics of my first one, I just got my 2nd one yesterday so it's not ready to show off yet. Hopefully some of you who are disappointed with this tank can be inspired to plant heavily and stock lightly. I nicknamed this tank the "sexy flexy" haha hope you enjoy the pics.PXL_20240808_004136067_MP.jpg.cf8b18fcb2bd00d446bbae58d9887d8b.jpgPXL_20240816_191934511.jpg.22fcf6bd5402ab97a66785ff69942316.jpgPXL_20240816_192000775_MP.jpg.6a54b2ccf3222732d7812be325fed971.jpg

• Love 3

I bought the Flex 15 because it looked so pretty, but I HATED it.  I got everything all set up with plants but finally just took it down.  The black, back section is impossible to keep clean and you can't see down in there without a flashlight. ( Do you have more than two hands?)  Plus, it's so hard to reach that area, being on the back.  You're much better off with a tank that's easier to keep clean. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 3:16 AM, nicdaddy1220 said:

Hopefully some of you who are disappointed with this tank can be inspired to plant heavily and stock lightly.

You've done a great job with your Flex tank.  It's beautiful!  I guess I'm just too old and tired to be digging around in that back section for cleaning.  I find my 20 gallon fits me better.  I live in north Texas and our water has high calcium and lime so I'm constantly trying to clean off the white powder residue everywhere.  I can't imagine attempting that with a Flex tank sitting closely to a wall. 

No issues with mine. I did get a flat acrylic hinged lid off of Esty and put an ACO light on it. Over time I have added a few other Esty mods (there are a lot!) like a larger media basket for the middle chamber. It houses a large cherry shrimp colony, 15 chili rasboras, and a breeding group of pigmy corys. It is also heavily planted. I've had it for a couple of years and it has served its purpose well. I have also used it as a grow out tank for fish that were initially too small for one of my larger tanks. It sits on the matching stand, which flows with the shape of the tank and looks really nice. I keep larger, more "sophisticated" tanks, but this one is simple and has been enjoyable.

Edited by TheBlueBeetle
  • Like 1