Age and se+ing guppies

JoeQ

At what age are Guppies mature enough to have fry? And what is the absolute latest that I should separate M & F by?

My first batch was born on about December 9th, I know to look for the egg spot, but its still too small to see...

I'm afraid im looking at a guppy explosion sooner or later!!! Any tips & tricks that will help me se at the earliest age possible?

I never went by the spot. By the time you can see it they are already holding sperm.

if it is a dark color or deep color guppy the first to show black in the tail are boys.  The black then turns the color later it is supposed to be.  

If you have platinum or albino that trick doesn’t work.

3-4 weeks my boys could impregnate. Maybe 5 I can’t quite remember it’s been awhile. The girls can’t give birth that young but can hold sperm for something crazy like 10 months.

use a magnifying glass and at 3 -4 weeks you can see a gonopodium on the boys. If you see them flex the gonopodium forward they have already started trying to put sperm in girls.

Oddly enough the girls I pulled early enough that they never had fry never showed a spot even as adults.  I have a sneaking suspicion that spot comes from sperm being deposited.  Just a suspicion 

depends on the size of the guppies, but in general what i have seen is anywhere from 3-6 months. with closer to 6 months being more common. you will very likely have a population explosion coming soon.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

I never went by the spot. By the time you can see it they are already holding sperm.

if it is a dark color or deep color guppy the first to show black in the tail are boys.  The black then turns the color later it is supposed to be.  

If you have platinum or albino that trick doesn’t work.

3-4 weeks my boys could impregnate. Maybe 5 I can’t quite remember it’s been awhile. The girls can’t give birth that young but can hold sperm for something crazy like 10 months.

use a magnifying glass and at 3 -4 weeks you can see a gonopodium on the boys. If you see them flex the gonopodium forward they have already started trying to put sperm in girls.

Oddly enough the girls I pulled early enough that they never had fry never showed a spot even as adults.  I have a sneaking suspicion that spot comes from sperm being deposited.  Just a suspicion 

Of course they are (mostly) platinum with a black tail so your trick wont work.... I also tend to agree with that suspicion, the 1 where I see a viable egg spot is either a glutton or has babies....

On 1/25/2024 at 11:42 PM, lefty o said:

depends on the size of the guppies, but in general what i have seen is anywhere from 3-6 months. with closer to 6 months being more common. you will very likely have a population explosion coming soon.

A population explosion is ok with me! I'm just hoping it holds off long enough to seperate the guys and gals among my 2 tanks. One has an angel fish and an unruly group of diamond tetras so hopefully they will grow out of the bite size stage pretty fast!

Edit for pic

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, lefty o said:

nice looking female.

Thanks! So im assuming what I was thinking is correct. The bigger ones with a large frame are most likely female. While the skinny(er) ones with a stream lined body are probably males?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:34 AM, JoeQ said:

Thanks! So im assuming what I was thinking is correct. The bigger ones with a large frame are most likely female. While the skinny(er) ones with a stream lined body are probably males?

look at the anal fin, females have one, males dont. males have a gonopodium.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:47 AM, JoeQ said:

Juvenile guppy seing...... It sure aint a near sighted mans game!!! 🤣.

yup, some people can tell fairly early, im on the slower side of it. some strains show better than others too.