Seachem products question

LDZ

Hey all,

Hope this question is okay to ask here.......

I just ordered Seachem Stress Guard and need to know do I still use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water?  The Stress Guard says it removes ammonia.  Can I use them both at the same time?  I know you can redose Prime every 24 hours how often do you redose Stress Guard?  Thanks for all your help.

• Like 2

Hello,

The combination of product safety is usually explained in the Seachem's official site. You can check it out for similar questions in the future, I usually check their site to see if two products are okay to use together, or if one product is safe to use where I keep X shrimp/fish/snail etc.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003985794-FAQ-Can-I-use-Seachem-StressGuard-together-with

"StressGuard™ will not directly interact with any of the other Seachem® products, but a large overdose of reducing agents (conditioners like Prime®, ammonia detoxifiers, stress reducers, and some medications) can start to reduce the oxygen levels of the tank.  It's just fine to use multiple reducing agents if you have good filtration and you're not using extra products unnecessarily, but if you need to use 3 or more reducing agents at the same time, it may be best to wait an hour or so between products to avoid a sudden drop in oxygen levels.  "

So you can use both, but better have a good oxygenation.

In terms of dechlorination, yes, you should use it if you are doing a water change for the Chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals. Usually a water source is less likely to have ammonia but it is possible.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:29 AM, LDZ said:

The Stress Guard says it removes ammonia. 

Stress guard does not mention that it removes ammonia. It claims to reduce ammonia toxicity. Removing would be whole another thing

StressGuard™ is the premium slime coat protection product. StressGuard™ will reduce stress and ammonia toxicity whenever handling or transporting fish. StressGuard™ binds to exposed protein in wounds to promote healing of injured fish and to reduce the likelihood of primary and secondary infections.

https://www.seachem.com/stressguard.php

Why do you want to use stress guard btw? Asking to make things clear, possibly you might be thinking it will remove ammonia as you mentioned above.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:37 AM, Lennie said:

Why do you want to use stress guard btw? Asking to make things clear, possibly you might be thinking it will remove ammonia as you mentioned above.

Same question here…they say prime kills ammonia but maybe not in my opinion…

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:16 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Same question here…they say prime kills ammonia but maybe not in my opinion…

No the producy claims it ”detoxify” for a period. 

but this is a topic that people talked about a lot in the forum in the past. Let’s no go into it again, as it usually ends up with different opinions turning into arguments and main threads being locked or so. You may search for the previous topics and see many others opinions on it in detail if you like

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:37 AM, Lennie said:

Hello,

The combination of product safety is usually explained in the Seachem's official site. You can check it out for similar questions in the future, I usually check their site to see if two products are okay to use together, or if one product is safe to use where I keep X shrimp/fish/snail etc.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003985794-FAQ-Can-I-use-Seachem-StressGuard-together-with

"StressGuard™ will not directly interact with any of the other Seachem® products, but a large overdose of reducing agents (conditioners like Prime®, ammonia detoxifiers, stress reducers, and some medications) can start to reduce the oxygen levels of the tank.  It's just fine to use multiple reducing agents if you have good filtration and you're not using extra products unnecessarily, but if you need to use 3 or more reducing agents at the same time, it may be best to wait an hour or so between products to avoid a sudden drop in oxygen levels.  "

So you can use both, but better have a good oxygenation.

In terms of dechlorination, yes, you should use it if you are doing a water change for the Chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals. Usually a water source is less likely to have ammonia but it is possible.

Stress guard does not mention that it removes ammonia. It claims to reduce ammonia toxicity. Removing would be whole another thing

StressGuard™ is the premium slime coat protection product. StressGuard™ will reduce stress and ammonia toxicity whenever handling or transporting fish. StressGuard™ binds to exposed protein in wounds to promote healing of injured fish and to reduce the likelihood of primary and secondary infections.

https://www.seachem.com/stressguard.php

Thank you, I forgot Seachem has info on their site.   I use Prime all the time for water changes but I have an old Betta who isn't doing well and I thought I could add some Stress Guard to help her be more comfortable.   Again thank you for all your help.

• Like 2

Yes agreed.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:25 AM, Lennie said:

but this is a topic that people talked about a lot in the forum in the past. Let’s no go into it again, as it usually ends up with different opinions turning into arguments and main threads being locked or so. You may search for the previous topics and see many others opinions on it in detail if you like

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:25 AM, Lennie said:

Agreed.  However, I think it is always valuable to add a single comment whenever someone mentions "detoxifying" ammonia with Prime that it may or may not work in that way.  Otherwise, we introduce a bias towards use (rather than a healthy skepticism and a neutral stance, given the current data).

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

I would just use one of the other. You only really need to dose it during water changes. You may have scenarios where you want to dose Prime again if you have an ammonia spike but even then I would do that with a water change.

Personally, I would save my money and get stuff like some catapa leaves and frozen food for your betta 

• Like 2